[CANUFNET] Black knot problems in Edmonton

Jim Donnelly jdonnelly at cityofgp.com
Thu Feb 11 09:40:50 EST 2010

We have run a black knot program the last 10 years when southern Alberta
started to have major issues.

1.       We inspect all public cherries in early May (before leaf) and
again in August (for new infections)

2.       If a plant is found we perform a concentric survey inspection
of both public and private parcel cherries and hand out information
leaflets to home owners

3.       We inspect all nursery stock we buy and what the local
greenhouses/vendors buy in May

4.       When an infected tree is found we find out where the tree was
bought (so far with the exception of a few Canadian Tire trees most have
been from respectable nurseries)

5.       Amur still get black knot here

6.       We deal with the diseased wood the same as noxious weed seed
heads. Landfill it and ask for "immediate cover"

7.       Black Knot hasn't been nasty enough here yet to trial any
biological controls and most trees are found before more than a few
braches need to be removed so tree mortality is at 1 or 2 per year.

8.       These measures have kept BK under control so far however the
number of cases has doubled each of the last 3 years so what really has
to happen is better regulation in the nursery trade. Hopefully the
Nursery Certification Program continues to gather momentum.

Jim Donnelly

Integrated Pest Management Coordinator

Parks Operations

City of Grande Prairie, AB.