[CANUFNET] Planting conifers in the fall

Kuta, Gerry gkuta at winnipeg.ca
Thu Sep 16 10:54:57 EDT 2010

To minimize stress, including winter browning, for conifers planted late
season or early fall.... a few points to consider:

1.	mark North at the tree's original location and orient the tree
to the same positioning at the new location (do your best if that is not
possible by studying the growth form).
2.	plant in sheltered locations that have some shade or install
burlap screens secured between posts for the first winter. (not touching
the plants)
3.	avoid planting in close proximity to major vehicular traffic
routes or reflective areas such as can be found "downtown".
4.	provide lots of water to establish the root system (no
fertilizer).
5.	ensure the soil moisture is adequate before freeze up
anticipating the February/March sun when the plant warms up considerably
as compared to the outside temperature.
6.	can fertilize in the next growing season.

In the past, we found that conifers were best planted before mid to late
June.

HTH,

/g