[CANUFNET] Municipal tree ownership/responsibility

pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca
Thu Dec 22 11:33:51 EST 2011

It seems we are using to 2 different Acts to address the same issue,
Forestry Act and Municipal Act
The question posed was related to co-ownership between the Municipality
and the Private Land Owner.

As municipalities are empowered to create Bylaws under the Municipal Act,
typically this is the route chosen for tree issues.

I'm not clear on how many urban municipalities would use the Forestry Act
to base any tree bylaws on at this point.

Therefore the appropriate wording in the Bylaw, under the Municipal Act,
along with a policy and agreement program sounds like the way to go for
co-Municipal/ Private tree ownership.  Reality being, until it is tested
in Court, its only a guideline in my understanding.

In light of the emerging  EAB nightmare, this will become more critical
for all parties involved as the municipality has a tendency to have
greater risk for users of the roadway if tree failure at or near the
street line occurs.
Therefore, where there are close or shared trees someone will have to
decide on the significant costs/risks and who is responsible for action.

I went off  topic but still very relevant......

Regards,
Peter Wynnyczuk

Urban Forestry Supervisor
Town of Richmond Hill