[CANUFNET] Agreements for tree planting on private property

Ian Wilson IWilson at kelowna.ca
Mon Mar 3 17:07:23 EST 2014

About 5 years ago in Kelowna we came up with a program called "Neighbourwoods" that helps provide subsidized trees for private properties.  We borrowed the original idea from John Giedraitis in Texas, except that in the Texas program they would get city crews to plant the trees, in our case the property owner pays a small amount for a subsidized tree and plants it themselves (we give them instructions).  They are responsible for all maintenance.  We charge a small fee for the trees to help offset costs but also so that the owners have some investment in keeping their trees alive and healthy.

The premise of our program is that in order to make a significant difference in influencing tree canopy in the city, we really have to increase tree cover on private properties.  And private owners also help share the load of maintenance responsibilities.

The program has been very successful and sells out of trees every time (usually around 400 or more trees per event).  It has been held most years (pending funding) in either spring or fall.   We advertise the event and folks sign up on-line.  They have to be a resident of Kelowna and are limited to 1 tree per property (although we've entertained the idea of more trees in future).  People sign up for their preferred tree and are given a choice of 4-5 species that do well in our climate.

We then go out and get a good deal from local nurseries to buy these trees at wholesale prices.   We charge the public about $30 per tree which can cover most of the cost of the tree (these are usually 15 gallon trees but are generally pretty large).  We hold a one day event on a Saturday where folks come and pick up their trees and get instructions on planting and tree care.  At our next event we're going to be working with a  local Rotary club to help provide volunteer labour and keep costs down.

Ian Wilson
City of Kelowna