[CANUFNET] Tree roots and pavement

Shields, Peter Peter.Shields at davey.com
Fri Apr 25 13:08:18 EDT 2014

Hi Neal,
A lot of work and "numbers" have been worked on by Coder.  Some of the reports are in the Landscape Below Ground book #2 (II)  It talks about some pressures related to axial and elongating pressures that may help you in designing some details.  There are still a lot of what ifs of course related to species, vigour, size, etc., etc.  But this may be a good starting point for you.

There are some papers too by Misra, Dexter and Alston that discuss axial and radial growth pressures.  Older (86'ish) but may be of some use.  Just as a note, Gilman does have some details with root barriers form curbs etc. that may help.  Of course, researching Urban's work too.

I hope if you come to a conclusion and spec, you will be willing to share.  Great stuff and is needed for a vast number of engineers and architects to really start referring to in hopes to properly spec'ing sidewalk and asphalt details with trees and roots in mind.

Cheers,

Peter Shields
Senior Consulting Arborist
ISA Board Certified Master Arborist(r) ON-0570B, ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified(r)
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist(r) #536
OMNR Butternut Health Assessor #252, Forest Technician
O - (905) 274-8300  C - (647) 465-4901
http://www.davey.com/canada/consulting-services.aspx
Trees Were Just the Beginning <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnAennw1JUs>
[DRG Logo_small][BCMA logo][asca_bw_logo]