[CANUFNET] Compensation for removal of municipally-owned trees

Alex Satel asatel at ufis.ca
Thu Jan 22 09:55:39 EST 2015

Hello fellow CANUFNET members,

I am looking to compile some basic information about municipalities which
currently request compensation for the removal of municipally-owned trees
(such as street trees), particularly in relation to development on private
lands.

I would greatly appreciate any input from CANUFNET members in response to
some or all of the following questions. Any level of detail would be great,
and if you don't feel comfortable broadcasting to the list (although that's
encouraged so we can all share the information), feel free to email me
directly.

Questions:

1.       Does your municipality seek compensation for municipally-owned
trees removed through development on private lands?

2.       If so, do you seek (A) to cover removal/replacement costs, (B)
amenity value, (C) both amenity and removal/replacement, or (D) other?

3.       If your municipality seeks to recover (B or C) amenity value, do
you determine amenity value using (A) the Council of Tree and Landscape
Appraisers (CTLA) Trunk Formula Method (TFM), or (B) an alternate method?

4.       Can you provide some more details about the method you use (e.g.,
TFM by-the-book, TFM with modifications, negotiated value, etc.)?

5.       Can you provide any comments about the successes/challenges in
seeking compensation for the removal of municipally-owned trees?

Thank you all kindly in advance, and kudos to everyone for continuing to use
CANUFNET! I always enjoy seeing everyone's contributions and think it really
helps to connect the UF community.

--Alex Satel

Alex Satel, MFC

ISA Certified Arborist ON-1353A