[CANUFNET] Compensation for removal of municipally-owned trees

Kat Hodgins khodgins at brantford.ca
Thu Jan 22 11:58:33 EST 2015

Hello Alex.  In reply to your questions, for the Corp. of the City of Brantford:

 1.       Does your municipality seek compensation for municipally-owned trees removed through development on private lands?

Yes

2.       If so, do you seek (A) to cover removal/replacement costs, (B) amenity value, (C) both amenity and removal/replacement, or (D) other?

If permission is granted in advance, we recover cost of removal, and a 3 for 1 replacement cost.

If permission is not granted in advance and/or a tree that was designated for protection is removed, we may, at our discretion, etiher apply the method above or "pay to the City as compensation for the tree or trees to be removed in an amount equal to the value thereof as determined in accordance with themost recent shade tree  valuation formula as set out by the Ontario Shade Tree Council."

3.       If your municipality seeks to recover (B or C) amenity value, do you determine amenity value using (A) the Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers (CTLA) Trunk Formula Method (TFM), or (B) an alternate method?

 As above, ""pay to the City as compensation for the tree or trees to be removed in an amount equal to the value thereof as determined in accordance with themost recent shade tree  valuation formula as set out by the Ontario Shade Tree Council."

4.       Can you provide some more details about the method you use (e.g., TFM by-the-book, TFM with modifications, negotiated value, etc.)?

5.       Can you provide any comments about the successes/challenges in seeking compensation for the removal of municipally-owned trees?

With buy in from our planning and current development departments, we are generally successful in applying the costs + 3 for 1 replacement method.  Planning will not release the hold back security until forestry has also signed off that we are satisfied.

Thanks for asking the question; I will be interested to see the other responses.

Kat Hodgins
ISA Certified Arborist ON-1720A
Urban Forestry Technician

We value your opinion.  Safe Brantford is a crime prevention initiative aimed at continuing to develop programs to improve community safety.  Please share your thoughts on this important issue by taking part in the Safe Brantford Survey. www.brantford.ca/SafeBrantford

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may contain privileged information. Any rights to confidentiality and privilege have not been waived. You must not present this message to another party without the permission of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Corporation of the City of Brantford.