[CANUFNET] Compensation for removal of municipally-owned trees

Young, Nancy Nancy.Young at ottawa.ca
Tue Jan 27 08:59:22 EST 2015

Hi Alex,

These are good questions! Especially since this is something that we all likely do differently.

At the City of Ottawa we do routinely require compensation for removal of municipally-owned trees as part of development, construction, and any other projects requiring their removal.

Our approach changes depending on the situation, but for the most part, we put the onus of removal (and the associated cost) on to the proponent. We generally valuate trees using the CTLA TFM if they are over 20cm in size; anything under that we tend to use a replacement ratio (2:1, 3:1, etc).  The location of the tree is factored in as well: we tend to place a higher value on trees in highly maintained areas in the downtown core, where trees require a more significant investment to plant and maintain.

Again, depending on the situation, and whether or not there is space available to replace trees that are removed, we credit the number of replacement trees and the planting costs, when determining the full compensation cost for a site. If no trees can be replaced we use TFM by the book.

We are fairly successful in obtaining compensation from the various proponents for the most part, as our approval for removal is withheld until payment is received. From my perspective our weaknesses primarily relate to:

-           The tracking and enforcement of tree compensation for larger projects which take place over an extended period of time,

-           Developing a standard approach to using tree valuation as a basis to collect securities for tree protection,

-           Damage done to municipal trees by adjacent development where no permit was sought, and so no prior valuation was made,

-           Standardizing the process for valuation as each case is unique and requires judgement by the forestry staff.

I am looking forward to hearing everyone’s comments on this, as I’m sure that every municipality has developed their own way of doing this. Any recommendations for improvement would be welcomed!

Cheers,
Nancy

Nancy Young, RPF | Forester| Forestry Services Branch | City of Ottawa
• 100 Constellation Crescent, Ottawa, ON, K2G 6J8 |
• 613-580-2424 Ext 13581 | Fax: 613-580-2611
• nancy.young at ottawa.ca | þ City of Ottawa - Trees and community forests<http://www.ottawa.ca/en/env_water/tlg/trees/index.html>
[roundForestry2Cbil]