[CANUFNET] Compensation for removal of municipally-owned trees

Gregg Staniforth conservarbre at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:37:55 EST 2015

Hi Alex,

Please find below the answers to your questions for the CDN/NDG borough in
the City of Montreal:

*1.       *Does your municipality seek compensation for municipally-owned
trees removed through development on private lands?

*Yes*

*2.       *If so, do you seek (A) to cover removal/replacement costs, (B)
amenity value, (C) both amenity and removal/replacement, or (D) other?

 *We generally seek amenity value and removal costs*

*3.       *If your municipality seeks to recover (B or C) amenity value, do
you determine amenity value using (A) the Council of Tree and Landscape
Appraisers (CTLA) Trunk Formula Method (TFM), or (B) an alternate method?

 *We have an established minimum value for amenity trees. Anything above
minimum value is calculated using the TFM.*

*4.       *Can you provide some more details about the method you use
(e.g., TFM by-the-book, TFM with modifications, negotiated value, etc.)?

 *Minimum tree value is established by calculating the cost of planting,
planning, materials etc. The minimum value is generally reviewed annually.
The appraisal methods used are based on the recommendations suggested in
the Guide d'évaluation des végétaux d'ornement which is a slight adaptation
of the CTLA methods. The publication was produced by the Quebec chapter of
the ISA.  *

*5.       *Can you provide any comments about the successes/challenges in
seeking compensation for the removal of municipally-owned trees?

 *Montreal is composed of 19 boroughs which all use slightly different
methods and/or values. Some boroughs have been succesful in obtaining
compensation for the loss of planting spaces in sidewalk squares. For
example, when a tree has to be removed and a sidewalk square must be
condemned and cannot be replanted, the cost of building the planting pit is
added to the bill.*

*We have been discussing developping similar compensation for the loss of
planting spaces on grassed areas, but we have found this very difficult to
quantify. We find that one of our biggest challenges is preserving existing
tree planting sites. *

Kind regards,

Gregg Staniforth

City of Montreal