[CANUFNET] Relationship DBH/canopy width

Peter Duinker Peter.Duinker at Dal.Ca
Tue Jun 28 11:22:42 EDT 2016

Darren:

I have a graduate student measuring street trees right now in Halifax.  He will end up with a couple of thousand trees measured for crown width and DBH.  We will have high-“n” regressions for estimating crown width from DBH for American elm, Norway maple, and European linden.  I know already, though, that the relationships are not tight, so even with high “n”, there will be considerable uncertainty in estimates.  We can share these regressions only in September or October, when data collection has finished.

Cheers, Peter

Peter N. Duinker, PhD, P.Ag.
Professor
School for Resource and Environmental Studies
Faculty of Management
Dalhousie University
6100 University Ave.
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
B3H 4R2
Phone: 902-494-7100
Cell: 902-229-5141
Fax: 902-494-3728
Email: peter.duinker at dal.ca
http://www.dal.ca/faculty/management/sres/faculty-staff/our-faculty/peter-duinker.html

From: CANUFNET [mailto:canufnet-bounces at list.web.net] On Behalf Of Darren Platakis
Sent: June 28, 2016 12:00 PM
To: Canadian Urban Forest Network <canufnet at list.web.net>
Subject: [CANUFNET] Relationship DBH/canopy width

Hello everyone,

Is anyone aware of information or a chart of some sort that indicates the relationship between DBH and canopy width for various tree species?

Eg,

Sugar maple with diameter "x" on average, has a canopy width of "y".

I understand that this is a very over generalized question and there are multiple variables involved. I was hoping that there might be something akin to a trigonometry table available somewhere.

I'm looking to perform some canopy analysis and would like to create buffers representing canopy width for different tree species based on their diameters.

Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Darren Platakis
(H)BSc. Geog., GIS (PG), FRCGS