[CANUFNET] Ash Species Rating

Meagan Hanna meagan.hanna at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Sep 20 20:20:58 EDT 2016

Good evening Alison,

For the past five years I've had ash at 20% in my books. I work primarily in a municipal setting and I benefit from applying by-laws that establish a minimum value for city trees where I am. I have worked for municipalities that set a minimum value between 1000$ and 1300$ per tree. Usually, ash falls at the minimum which essentially makes up your planting cost for an average sized B&B tree.

Now that ash are dying in my neck of the woods, you bring up a good point. I have a hard time rating existing trees providing landscape functions at zero % if they still appear viable. For instance, the loss of a treated tree in an early infestation context that is responding well to treatment - the value the owner has put into retaining the tree, is it worth something? What will that look like in a few years from now? I'm curious to see the situation unfold. Not sure that aspect is covered in tree appraisal literature - certainly not in French Canadian literature that's for sure.

I'm looking forward to reading more points of view about this.

Best of luck and warm regards from Montreal!

Meg

Meagan Hanna, MA.
meagan.hanna at mail.mcgill.ca