[CANUFNET] tearing up pavement or concrete to plant trees?

Naomi Zurcher treerap at sprintmail.com
Thu Nov 5 07:43:03 EST 2020

Hi Meagan:

Checked out the pictures from City of Laval and you should inform them that

• one should never lift a tree by its trunk - only by the root ball. Even with container grown material, the weight is concentrated in the ball and when one lifts the tree by its trunk, the weight of the ball pulls the soil away from direct contact with roots, resulting in early decline and death.

• container grown material is almost always a guarantee of girdling roots. The root ball should always be opened up before the tree is planted - pulling that ball apart to stop the roots from continuing their circular growth. From the photos, it looks as if that didn’t happen

• in the finished planting shot, one cannot see the trunk flares which suggests that the trees have been planted too deep.  Also, the mulch is too close to the trunks of the trees in the photo. Mulch should never be installed against any part of a tree that is covered with bark as the moisture the mulch holds will instigate bark / stem rot.

Kind regards
Naomi