[CANUFNET] Trees and the Law in Canada. Where to Measure Boundary Trees to Determine Ownership

Michael Richardson mrtree at kos.net
Fri Mar 26 07:21:15 EDT 2021

I have to disagree that the Hartley v. Cunningham & Scharper case is
precedent setting.

1) The Forestry Act was never intended for use in the Urban Forest, let
alone an urbanized landscape.

2) both parties stipulated to the Forestry Act being the correct
legislation and as such the Forestry act was not tested in court

3) Precedent is not simply set by winning a case.  In common law, prior
cases can be used to inform an argument and decision but precedent is set
in higher courts (such as the Supreme Court of Canada)

4) Common law has suggested that property on property lines is jointly owned.

Suggesting that a court win sets precedent is probably better left to
lawyers, judges, and law scholars and is likely something that the
arborist should not be stating.

Julian Dunster has posted a number of articles that show boundary trees
are subject to concepts of common law that go back hundreds of years. or
more and recent cases have not changed that.