[CANUFNET] Tree limbs and potential damage to underground infrastructure

Julian Dunster jd at dunster.ca
Wed Apr 28 11:26:57 EDT 2021

Research might be feasible but would it help? The amount of penetration
will depend on the size of the limb cross section, the mass of the
falling limb, the height from which it falls, and the type of soil it
lands on. Too many variable to have much meaningful research. There was
a case in the UK decades ago where a tree fell over in the night,
ruptured a gas line, and the next morning someone's house blew up when
they turned on the stove. I don't have the details, but remember the
incident. I have seen large limbs go right through a 2x4 wall of a house
a hundred feet away from the tree. I have felled trees and dug branches
/ limbs out of the ground. Most underground utilities are buried quite
deep, but conceivably a falling limb could penetrate the soil and hit
it. However, on an actuarial risk basis the chances of it happening are
surely very very low, so the overall risk is also very very low.

A sensible contractor would surely take some steps to avoid even that
low risk by not felling trees onto ground that might contain underground
utilities.

PS

Why would you encourage people to print emails in order to maintain
cutting down trees. Working forest are not necessarily good for the
environment, and often provide lousy wildlife habitat relative to a
natural forest.

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

North American distributor for Rinntech
www.dunster.ca