[CANUFNET] Tree limbs and potential damage to underground infrastructure

Alex Satel - UFI asatel at ufis.ca
Wed Apr 28 12:22:40 EDT 2021

Hi Luc,

Interesting (and somewhat unusual) question.

I'm sorry that I can't point you to any such research, but my initial thought is that, given the depth, relatively small size (diameter/thickness), and density of most utilities one would find underground near trees (e.g., gas, hydro, water, etc.) the likelihood of a branch penetrating the soil to a sufficient depth with enough force to cause damage and right on top of said utilities is likely so small as to be negligible.

Applying the ANSI/ISA BMP tree risk rating matrix with the utilities as the target, I can't imagine the "likelihood of impact" ever rising above "very low", thus necessitating a "low" risk rating regardless of the likelihood of failure or the potential severity of consequences (though I could certainly be wrong). Perhaps that might suffice to alleviate the concerns of whoever is asking the question.

All that said, if you are able to find any research concerning branch soil penetration depth (especially in relation to utility damage), I'd be grateful if you were able to share it.

Kind regards,

Alex

Alexander Satel, MFC
Urban forestry and arboricultural consultant
ISA Certified Arborist ON-1353A
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified (TRAQ)

Urban Forest Innovations, Inc.
1331 Northaven Drive
Mississauga, ON L5G 4E8
T: (905) 274-1022