[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: Good News for Tenants

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 09:38:20 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rob MacDonald <robm at housinghelp.on.ca>
Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Hi, everyone
On October 2ns, the Community and Protective Services Committee heard
the recommendations from the Tenants' Conference.  They unanimously
carried a motion ti add $150,000 to the budget in 2009 to enhance the
tenant services of Housing Help, Action Logement, and the Housing Loss
Prevention Network.  They also narrowly passed a motion for city staff
to prepare a report on the issue of Landlord Licensing which is due in
June 2009.

Most importantly, a motion will be brought to the next CPS meeting on
Thursday, October 16 requesting that $200,000 be given as seed money
to begin the implementation of a new City Wide Tenants' Association.
While the news is good, we know that landlords have already been
organizing against this recommendation and will be out in full force
on October 16th so we need to be vocal.  If you know of a tenant who
wants to tell their story and support the recommendation, then then
October 16th is they day we need them, now more than ever.  If you're
an agency that benefited from the increased funds as a result of  the
October 2nd meeting, then please consider coming out and speaking of
the need for tenants to be organized.

A meeting will be held at Councillor Alex Cullen's office  on Tuesday
October 7th at 9:00am to develop a plan of action.  The office is
located a on the second floor of 110 Laurier Avenue.  The Community
and Protective Services Committee meeting on October 16th begins at
9:30 am in the Champlain Room at 110 Laurier Avenue.  Please contact
me if you have any questions or require information.
--
Rob MacDonald,

"Warriors, warriors we call ourselves.  We fight for
splendid virtue, for high endeavour, for sublime wisdom,
therefore we call ourselves warriors."
Aunguttara Nikaya

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you