[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: {ODSPAction} Changes to "stupid rules", including internal reviews

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 18:34:32 EST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dana Milne (ISAC) <milned at lao.on.ca>
Date: 2009/2/4
Subject: {ODSPAction} Changes to "stupid rules", including internal reviews
To: odspaction-announce at googlegroups.com, odspaction at googlegroups.com

 ------------------------------

*From:* Sarah Blackstock
*Sent:* February 4, 2009 10:33 AM
*To:* Social Assistance Discussion List; CLN - ISAC
*Subject:* "stupid rules", including internal reviews

Hi all,

In the Poverty Reduction Strategy released in December there was a promise
to immediately change three of the so-called stupid rules. Below is the
relevant excerpt from the Poverty Reduction Strategy. I have been advised by
Minister Meilleur's office that they are in the final stages of making the
changes, including making the necessary adjustments to the technology. They
expect to make an announcement in the spring. When we have more information
I will pass it on.

>From the PRS:

*Immediate Rule Changes*

There are three social assistance rules that will be changed immediately to
support the goal of breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty. The
first change removes a barrier to post-secondary education faced by social
assistance recipients.

*What's New: *

As part of the Poverty Reduction Strategy, we will fully exempt as income
the earnings of persons on social assistance who are participating in
post-secondary education.

The second rule change extends child care supports to low-income families to
support their transition from social assistance to work.

*What's New: *

We will extend the Up-Front Child Care Benefit to participants who may
require support to maintain their participation in employment and employment
assistance activities. This change will also benefit young parents
participating in the Learning, Earning and Parenting (LEAP) program under
Ontario Works.

The third rule change will extend the time period that social assistance
applicants and recipients have to request an internal review by staff of an
appealable decision regarding their assistance.

*What's New: *

We will extend the time period to request an internal review from 10 days to
30 days.

Sarah Blackstock

Research and Policy Analyst

Income Security Advocacy Centre

425 Adelaide St. W, 5th Floor

Toronto, ON

M5V 3C1

416-597-5820 ext 5150

blackstocks at lao.on.ca

odspaction-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/odspaction?hl=en

Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a
participant." June Callwood
Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and
renders the present inaccessible.  Maya Angelou