[homeles_ot-l] We've lost one of the best MP's this country's ever had

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 19:25:09 EDT 2011

Hi folks,

You may already be aware that one of the casualties of the Tory victories in Ontario is one of the strongest advocates this country has ever had in the House of Commons for anti-poverty, pro-people measures. Tony Martin lost his Sault-Ste-Marie riding to a Tory.

Tony has been fighting to improve the lot of women and low income people since long before he was an MPP and MP. He is the author of the bill that would have implemented a federal poverty reduction strategy which is pretty well dead in the water now. It is, of course, extremely unlikely that there will be much chance to see improvements in the way poor folks are treated under the incoming regime.

Tony has been a constant champion for our common cause. I know him well enough to be able to say he's not going to give up the fight but will just do it from another place. He's been an inspiration and a beacon for a lot of people for which I thank him.

Linda.