[homeles_ot-l] Nelson House update and AGM Notice - 4 to 6 pm, Aug 3rd at 900 Merivale Road

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 15:52:02 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

There have been a number of developments regarding Nelson House including the installation of an interim board and the convening of an AGM for August 3rd. The basic info is below and I have attached the notice for the AGM and membership form. Please circulate them as widely as possible within your networks.

I've also attached a longer update with more of the details about how the current situation was arrived at and what the challenges are that face the interim and future board. Some of you will note that it is very carefully worded without some of my usual editorial comments. This is because there are conditions placed on the interim board in relation to what they can say publicly. Although I am not a member of that board, some of my information has come from them and I do not want to put them in a situation that could potentially jeopardize the legal agreement which is enabling them to attempt to re-open Nelson House.

The interim board has been appointed to act until the AGM is held on August 3rd (notice attached) That board is currently working with the Ministry and the community to identify the issues at Nelson House and possible solutions. More details about the transition from the previous board to the interim board and the challenges they are facing are in the attached update.
How you can get involved:
The interim board is inviting people who are interested in being members of Nelson House to submit an application (attached) as soon as possible. You have to be a member in order to vote at the AGM. Membership is open to everyone although only women can serve on the board.
A new board will be elected at the AGM and, if you are interested in serving on the board, please let the, know as soon as you can but before July 20th at nelsonhouseinterimboard at gmail.com.
Both the interim board and the post-AGM board will need support in meeting the requirements of the Ministry before they can even consider re-opening Nelson House. If you have particular skills that might be useful, again please let them know at nelsonhouseinterimboard at gmail.com. Among other things, fundraising is going to be an issue.
The Action Committee, of which I am a member, which was formed at the community meeting on May 31st to ensure that the services of Nelson House were not lost to the community, has changed its focus to one of an advisory group to support the interim board. We have already met with them and will be working with them until the AGM and will then offer our support to the board that will be elected then.
And, yes, August the 3rd is the Friday of the long weekend. Between the requirements of their bylaws to give proper notice for the AGM and the Ministry requiring they hold an AGM no later than August 3rd, the interim board didn't have much choice. That's one reason why it's important that everyone who can be there comes. Another reason is that funders, including the Ministry, will be measuring community support by who turns up. Lack of demonstrable support was one of the factors that got the previous board in trouble.
So please circulate the notice and please be there.
Thanks, Linda.