[homeles_ot-l] Friday Rally and Press Event: Inclusionary Zoning

Ray Sullivan Ray.Sullivan at CCOCHOUSING.ORG
Tue Jan 13 14:09:32 EST 2015

Hello friends and colleagues,

Many of us in Ottawa have long advocated for “inclusionary zoning” regulations that would require all new housing developments to have some minimum level of affordability.

In fact, the City’s Official Plan already has similar provisions (section 2.5.2), but the provincial Planning Act doesn’t support strict enforcement.

There’s a new opportunity to change that. Liberal backbench MPP Peter Milczyn has introduced a bill<http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/11/25/queens_park_newcomer_aims_to_move_the_yardsticks_on_housing_goar.html> to change the rules and give Cities the power to enforce Inclusionary Zoning.

Our allies at ACORN Ottawa have organized an event on Friday to push for this change (Friday, Jan.16 at 12PM, outside 340 Gloucester - corner of Gloucester and Bay).

They have even published this useful primer: https://www.acorncanada.org/resource/guide-developing-inclusionary-housing-program

I think we all need to recognize that we, as non-profits, charities and concerned citizens, can’t close the housing affordability gap without the private sector. Whatever combination of carrots and sticks it takes to get them to the table, we need them to be engaged.  Inclusionary zoning is just one more tool to get the job done.

Come and join the rally!

Raymond Sullivan
Executive Director
Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation