[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: Good news from the Ottawa Public Library

Alliance To End Homelessness info at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Wed Mar 31 13:27:59 EDT 2021

FYI - From the Ottawa Pulic Library:

*Beginning on January 1, 2021 the Ottawa Public Library introduced a
Materials Recovery Model to replace Late Fees for overdue library
materials. This change allows OPL to take concrete action, removing
systemic barriers to library service. The new model means customers who
have incurred late fees in the past will have more equitable access to the
library’s resources.*

*We hope that the removal of late fees will also encourage new customers to
start using the Library. The OPL’s aim is to get material back for others
to borrow, to encourage the return of long overdue items, to increase the
number of copies available for all customers, and provide equitable access
to computers, wifi, programs and services.*

*The OPL is an inclusive environment looking to expand our reach to
community members who may be at risk of exclusion; this may include
Indigenous residents, those living in poverty, racialized residents, youth,
people with disabilities, women, or immigrants. I welcome an opportunity to
speak further about any ways in which we can work together to communicate
this message to those who may benefit most. We have flyers and bookmarks to
share, and I would be pleased to hold a virtual, informal chat with members
of organizations and or clients if there is an appropriate opportunity to
do so.*

-