[Sust-mar] U.S. Canada agree to Bali framework

Peter Watson pwatson at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Dec 16 11:27:22 EST 2007

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/environment/story.html?id=169621

Also, from Avaaz.Org:

Wow -

This morning, in a massive U-turn in the 11th hour of extended negotiations,
the Harper government finally dropped its opposition to 2020 emissions
targets among Kyoto countries , and a climate change agreement was reached
in Bali!

Over 110,000 of us came together over the last 4 days and added our voices
to a wave of popular outrage - we supported the ads that ran in Canadian
papers and at the conference in Bali, called Harper and our MPs, and built
the strength of the petitions, events, banners, and marches at the summit.
And it all worked!

Click the link below to see a video message from Liberal leader Stephane
Dion at Bali - Avaaz is a non-partisan group and the NDP and Green Party
also deserve credit for opposing Harper, but Dion had an impassioned comment
for us:

Avaaz.org/en/Canada_Wins

Lots of factors helped make this happen, especially a strong resolve and
pressure from other countries. In teaming up with people around the globe to
save our climate - including over 600,000 other Avaaz members who pushed
their governments - we've defended Canada's proud tradition of doing the
right thing in the world. The struggle is far from over, but this weekend is
for celebrating!

With much joy and enormous respect for everyone who signed, forwarded,
donated, called, lobbied and pitched in,

Ricken and the Avaaz team

PS - Here's a link to see other Avaaz campaigns and our work this year -
http://www.avaaz.org/en/report_back_1/

And here's a Globe and Mail article on the Harper reversal at Bali:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071215.wbalidealyork1215/BNStory/International/home

Why does this action change the world? Because we're going to make your 60
seconds count.