[Sust-mar] Organic (Market) Gardening Apprentice/Helper/Partner, south of Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Canada p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Feb 22 18:59:21 EST 2007

[as posted to GoodWork http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

SELF-EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Organic (Market) Gardening Apprentices/Helpers/Partners

Date posted to GoodWorkCanada.ca: Feb 22, 2007
Application deadline: as soon as you can
Start date: April onwards
Location: near Bridgewater, one hour south of Halifax, Nova Scotia

My name is Daniel and I am looking for anyone interested
in helping me grow, learn (and hopefully make a little
money) running an organic market farm this coming
season.

It is an opportunity I just sort of fell upon and have
no one to help me out. Could you?

I have little experience gardening on such a large scale and
it will be a crash course of sorts for me. I am looking for
anyone of any age interested in things that grow, with
experience or not, to "apprentice" with me starting this
April. (though anyone interested in coming for any time
period would be welcome)

We will be taught by an experienced market gardener, and
have all the equipment and seeds needed to start. Money
earned through sales will be split 75-25 (apprentices-
teacher). All extra food, gas and the like will have
to be bought. Living space and the land (ready to grow)
is covered by the 25%.

Aside from the minimal instruction and assistance we will
have to be completely independent. The land is in our
hands, and I want to use it the best I can, learning all I can.

Living space could either be a shared cabin, or tent,
or the sky.

The farm is an hour south of Halifax, NS, a short drive
outside of Bridgewater. Market will be on Friday or
Saturday (or both, depending on how much we decide
to do).

So what do you think? I am excited but daunted and
hope this will reach someone.

Get me at: dan.luckhart at gmail.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[GoodWork Editor adds... topical resources & opportunities:

What is Market Gardening?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_gardening

Organic/Sustainable Gardening & Farming Info & Resources:
http://www.planetfriendly.net/organic.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_gardening
http://directory.google.com/Top/Home/Gardening/Organic/
Sustainable Agriculture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_agriculture
http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/Agriculture/Sustainable_Agriculture/

How to Find Garden Space or Experience
http://www.planetfriendly.net/gwd.php?id=2274#more

Organic Jobs & Internships in Canada
Organic: http://www.planetfriendly.net/gw.php?keyword=organic
Wwoof: http://www.planetfriendly.net/wwoof.html
More: http://www.planetfriendly.net/organic.html#joblistings

Eco-Foods Guide (and top-ten grocery store checklist)
http://www.planetfriendly.net/organic.html#ecofoods
http://www.newsociety.com/bookid/3805
Why Buy Local? http://www.planetfriendly.net/organic.html#local
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_purchasing

~~~~~

About Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgewater%2C_Nova_Scotia
http://directory.google.com/Top/Regional/North_America/Canada/Nova_Scotia/Localities/B/Bridgewater/

]

This message will also be posted at one or more of:
GoodWork Canada http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
Planet Volunteer http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
The Calendar http://Planetfriendly.net/calendar/
Any changes or corrections will appear there.

POST AN ECO-JOB OR OTHER LISTING:
Post it with GoodWork: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca
Post it with PlanetVolunteer: http://PlanetVolunteer.net
Post it on the Calendar: http://Planetfriendly.net/calendar/
Contact us: http://Planetfriendly.net/inquiry.html

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
UN-SUBSCRIBE: the unsubscribe address is found at
the very bottom of this message, and here:

GOODWORK RELIES ON your payments and contributions.
Please make your cheque payable to:  People and Planet,
PO Box 21006, RPO Ottawa South, Ottawa ON, Canada  K1S 5N1.
Or donate online: http://Planetfriendly.net/donate.html
Pay online: http://Planetfriendly.net/goodworkpmt.html
(Not tax-deductible. If you want a receipt, please indicate so,
and include your e-mail address so we can send you one.)

DISCLAIMER: GoodWork/People & Planet does not verify the
accuracy of the messages and listings we distribute. We also do
not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved.
It is the responsibility of the reader to confirm important details
with the other party/organization, and to take any suitable
precautions before accepting employment, a contract or
any other arrangement.

--
GoodWork Canada http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
PlanetVolunteer http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
People & Planet http://www.Planetfriendly.net

~ it takes *people* to build a healthier world ~

.

Listing ID: 3794