[Sust-mar] Draft letter for politicians urging major planning for peak oil and global warming

Helen Jones hjones at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Jan 9 14:00:47 EST 2007

For many Sust-marians this is stating the obvious, but below is a letter
draft that can be sent right now to any local or federal politician
regarding the need to address this urgent problem.  We need an
order-of-magnitude change in focus - and quickly.
(modify or add to the letter to suit you.)

Sincerely,

Helen Jones

---

IMMEDIATE AND DRASTIC PLANNING NEEDED
FOR PEAK OIL AND GLOBAL WARMING

1. Our planning needs to go FAR BEYOND the Kyoto Protocol - now.

2. An Energy Descent Action Plan (EDAP) is required for every Canadian city.

3. For comprehensive help, take advantage of resources posted on excellent
websites such as:  www.energybulletin.net , and that of Canada's Guy Dauncey
on neighbourhood and Community http://www.earthfuture.com/community/ .  Good
and thoughtful work has already been begun by others; we can build on it.
Outstanding articles [e.g., http://energybulletin.net/21326.html ]and online
resources such as http://www.earthfuture.com/stormyweather/links/ can help
point the way.

4. Create a detailed plan for all regions of Canada to become energy
independent as quickly as possible (by a named date).  Coal and nuclear are
not the answer.  We can solve these problems with a combination of wind
power, solar power, tidal energy, heat pumps, ocean gradient heat pumps and
other efficient forms of energy generation that leave no toxic legacies
behind.  These approaches, coupled with increases in energy efficiency in
all sectors, domestic and industrial, a taxation system that rewards
improvements in efficiency and penalizes continued wasteful behaviour, the
development, sale and export of clean technologies, and the relocalization
of food production, preservation and storage will help us transition to the
requirements of the future.

5. This will be expensive, but the costs of not following this course will
be much, much greater.

6. Prepare public attitudes for the necessity of these initiatives.

Thank you for your careful consideration of these suggestions.

Sincerely,