[Sust-mar] Fri, June 29: Mi'kmaq Solidarity @ NB-NS border shutdown for National Day of Indigenous Resistance and Solidarity

Aaron Koleszar aaronkol at isn.net
Mon Jun 25 12:10:11 EDT 2007

if anyone needs or can offer a ride from PEI, contact aaronkol /at/ isn.net
or 902.659.2575

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:56:04 -0300
From: "Mikmaq Solidarity" <mikmaqsolidarity at gmail.com>
Subject: June 29th

On Friday, June 29 a collective of folks from NB and NS will temporarily
shut down the NB-NS border from 10am until noon.   (We be meeting at the
Irving Big Stop in Aulac, NB at 9:30 am)  We will be stopping traffic to
handout information regarding current Native issues of which the Government
of Canada fails to adequately address or resolve.

The NB-NS border is an arbitrary border which divides the Mi'kmaq
Nation.  On the start of the Canada Day long weekend, we will turn
attention to outstanding Native issues and raise awareness on Canada's
disrespectful and and shameful past in its relationship with Native
peoples, which continues today.  Such as, unresolved land claims, poor
water quality in communities, killing of the Kelowna accord, and continued
disrespect for the treaties.

First Nations poverty is the single greatest social injustice facing
Canada.  Canada is one of the wealthiest nations, all because of the
generosity and land of our ancestors.  Yet First Nations endure poverty and
third world conditions in our territories.

Friday, June 29 is the National Day of Indigenous Resistance and
Solidarity.  Actions will be taking place across Canada.  We will be
standing in solidarity with our brothers and sisters across Canada.  Canada
has always taken a 'divide and conquer' approach in its relationship with
Native peoples, as seen through the creation of reserves and the Indian
Act; Residential Schools, Bill C-31; etc. etc.

It is time for action.

Interested folks are asked to
email:  <mailto:mikmaqsolidarity at gmail.com>mikmaqsolidarity at gmail.com for
more information.

"We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
    - General Rick Hillier

Civil disobedience is not our problem.
Our problem is civil obedience.
Our problem is that numbers of people all over the world
have obeyed the dictates of the leaders of their government and have gone
to war,
and millions have been killed because of this obedience.
Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world
in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty.
Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty
thieves,
and all the while the grand thieves are running and robbing the country.
That's our problem."
- Howard Zinn, Failure to Quit