[Sust-mar] 9 Upcoming Events for the Earth, Women's Equality and Social Justice - Kindly circulate

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Fri Feb 8 10:53:49 EST 2008

9 Upcoming Events for the Earth, Women's Equality and Social Justice. Mark
your calendars. Please circulate. Thank you!

(1)
WE ARE WHAT WE EAT: PUBLIC FORUM ON THE HALIFAX HARBOUR'S SEWAGE PLANS &
FILM SCREENING: SLUDGE DIET
Monday, February 11
7:00 PM
Student Union Building
Dalhousie University
6136 University Avenue

Are HRM biosolids (a mixture of sewage sludge and cement kiln dust) safe to
use as a "fertilizer" on the Nova Scotia farmland that produces the food we
eat? Three of North America's leading researchers: Dr. Murray Mc Bride, Dr.
Robert Hale, and Maureen Reilly will address some of the serious concerns
pertaining to the land application of biosolids from the Halifax Harbour
sewage sludge on agricultural land in our province. This practice of
spreading sewage sludge on our fields, impacts our food, our water and our
health. Come to find out more. All welcome.

Following the discussion there will be a screening of Mario Desmarais'
important documentary Sludge Diet. This film takes a closer look at the tons
of industrial and municipal sludge that is spread across arable land each
year. The food that we eat is mostly produced on land fertilized by this
digester sludge, sludge that is full of dangerous contaminants. The film
shows the disastrous consequences of this Sludge Diet and the need for
government to take immediate action on this issue and ban the use of sludge
on agricultural land.

Sponsored by the Nova Scotia Environmental Network and NSPIRG. For more
information, please call Fred Blois: 902-893-2641 or go to the NSEN web
site: www.nsen.ca

(2)
FREE PUBLIC SCREENING OF MICHAEL MOORE'S ACCLAIMED FILM ON HEALTHCARE: SICKO
Saturday, February 9
2:00-4:30 pm
Keshen Goodman Library, 330 Lacewood Drive, Halifax
'SICKO' is a straight-from-the-heart portrait of the crazy and sometimes
cruel U.S. health care system, told from the vantage of everyday people
faced with extraordinary and bizarre challenges in their quest for basic
health coverage. Profit is not the cure to healthcare problems. You'll be
proud of the Canadian public healthcare system after watching the film.
You'll also want to do more and support a national pharmacare plan.
Organized by the Halifax West NDP Riding Association. For more information,
please contact Carol Buchanan. Phone: 455-4NDP / Email: tamaralorincz at ndp.ca

(3)
SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION IN NOVA SCOTIA FOR EVERYONE (SENSE) PUBLIC MEETING
Wednesday, February 20 from 11:00-3:00pm
Canadian Centre for Ethics in Public Affairs, 630 Francklyn Street, Atlantic
School of Theology, Halifax
Free and open to the public. Please RSVP to Tamara at NSEN nsen at cen-rce.org
to ensure enough seats and catering. Lunch and refreshments provided.
Limited Travel subsidies offered. Presenters include: Chris Bryant of
Department of Economic Development who will give a presentation about
"Opportunities for Sustainable Prosperity", Saint Mary's University
Sustainability Task force, and the Urban Farm Society of Spryfield's Come
Grow with Us followed by how we advance sustainability education in the
classroom and in the community.

(4)
SOCIAL MURDER AND OTHER SHORTCOMINGS OF CONSERVATIVE ECONOMICS - February
18th at 7pm
Dalhousie Student Union Building (6136 University Ave.) in Room 303.
Robert Chernomis, Professor of Economics at the University of Manitoba and
co-author of Social Murder and Other Shortcomings of Conservative Economics,
will be visiting Halifax as part of a regional speaking tour to launch this
new book. Social Murder examines the connections between the destructiveness
of global capitalism and the professional economists who help keep it that
way. Join Robert, Board member of the Council of Canadians, in a frank
discussion about Conservative economic policy and its' devastating impact on
the health, wealth and welfare of Canadians. Admission is free and copies of
Social Murder will be available for sale.  For more information, please
contact Angela Giles at agiles at canadians.org or Cliff White at
cwhite at canadians.org. For addition details, please visit: www.canadians.org.

(5)
LINDA MCQUAIG "HOLDING THE BULLY'S COAT: CANADA AND THE U.S. EMPIRE" PUBLIC
TALK ON FEB. 21, 7-8:30 PM
MacMechan Auditorium Killam Library Building University Club,
Dalhousie University, 6225 University Ave.
Journalist and best-selling author Linda McQuaig has developed a reputation
for controversy and for challenging the establishment. She will be sharing
her thoughts from her most recent book on Canada's relationship to the
United States. Drawing insights from her newest book she explains why she
believes that, in its attempts to please our powerful neighbour, Ottawa has
abandoned Canada's traditional peacekeeper role in favour of a more
combative stance, battling insurgents in Afghanistan as a junior partner in
George W. Bush's "war on terror." She highlights how this new, more
aggressive role for Canada - championed by many in our corporate and
military elite - is sharply at odds with the sense of identity held by most
Canadians. Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives - Nova Scotia:
www.policyalternatives.ca

(6)
EQUAL VOICE NOVA SCOTIA MEETING
Monday, February 25th, 2008, 7pm
Political Science Lounge 3rd floor, Henry Hicks Administration Building
(Clock tower building) Dalhousie University. Equal Voice is a multi-partisan
action group dedicated to increasing the political presence of women and
women elected to all levels of political office in Canada. For more
information, please contact equalvoicenovascotia at gmail.com

(7)
"SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT: AN INVESTMENT OR A COST?"
Tuesday, February 26 from 11:30am - 1pm
'Fire and Ice'  Buffet Lunch. Bluenose Ballroom, 8th Floor, Delta Halifax
Tickets: $30.00. Please pre-register, as seating is limited.
Cheques made payable to the Atlantic School of Theology/CCEPA. Visa and
MasterCard accepted. Contact CCEPA:  428-4731 or info at ccepa.ca
Dr. Blair Feltmate -  Director of Sustainable Development, Ontario Power
Generation, is one of Canada's leading authorities on corporate social
responsibility. He has studied and written extensively on this topic and
offers valuable insight as a result of his research and analysis.

(8)
FIRST ANNUAL SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION SYMPOSIUM ON MARCH 29 & 30
Peacebuilding & Earthkeeping: Creating a Culture of Respect for People and
the Planet
Saint Mary's University, Halifax
Key Note Speakers: Gerald Farthing, Manitoba Deputy Minister of Education
and Dr. Anita Wenden, Director Peace Education & Research, Earth & Peace
Education Associates, New York. There will also be a Youth Art Contest.
Registrations will open late-February. A project of SENSE: Sustainability
Education in Nova Scotia for Everyone. Co-organized by Peaceful Schools
International, Saint Mary's University and the Nova Scotia Environmental
Network. For more information, please visit www.nsen.ca

(9)
If Women Counted: FILM SCREENINGS AND DISCUSSION

Saturday, March 1, 2008
2:00-4:30 PM
Bedford Public Library, 15 Dartmouth Rd.
(Wardour Centre)

Saturday, March 15, 2008
1:00-4:00 PM
Alderney Public Library, Dartmouth, NS

Free public event. All welcome. Women don't miss this!
A special event in celebration of International Women's Day

Come to watch the powerful documentary "Who's Counting: Marilyn Waring on
Sex, Lies and Global Economics" (1995). About this film, David Suzuki said,
"I give the film and Ms. Waring every superlative - riveting, revealing,
inspiring, etc. It penetrates to the heart of the global, ecological, and
social crisis that afflicts the world. required viewing for all who know we
are on a destructive path and want to get off." After the film, engage in a
moderated discussion about women's role, especially mothers' role, in
society and the importance of women in politics and business. If women
counted, how would our world be different and better?

Organized by Equal Voice Nova Scotia.  For more information, please visit:
http://equalvoicenovascotia.googlepages.com/home
Email equalvoicenovascotia at gmail.com or call 902-445-0187.

***************

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN)
French Student
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
CESR: http://cesr.dsu.dal.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
NDP: http://www.tamaralorincz.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" -
Dr. Martin Luther King