[Sust-mar] Upcoming events: Water Strategy consultations, Sustainability Education, Uranium Mining and more!

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Mon Mar 24 18:02:40 EDT 2008

11 Upcoming environmental events - please circulate:

1.
Attend the NS Water Strategy Public Consultations - Very important to give
your input!
http://www.gov.ns.ca/enla/water/WaterStrategyWorkshopStrategy.asp
Scheduled meetings start in Oxford on Tuesday, April 1 and cross the
province.
June 1, 2008 is the deadline to give your feedback on the Nova Scotia Water
Discussion paper: http://www.gov.ns.ca/enla/water/docs/WaterStrategy.pdf

2.
Sustainability Education: From the Earth Charter to Action on Friday, March
28, 2008 , 7:30 pm
Burke Building Theatre A, 5932 Inglis Street, Saint Mary's University
NS Minister of Education Karen Casey will be giving the welcoming remarks.
Public Forum with Keynote Speakers:
Dr. Anita Wenden, co-founder of Earth and Peace Education Associates
International, New York [Earth Charter: An Ethical Framework for Planning
Sustainability Education] Dr. Gerald Farthing, Deputy Minister of Manitoba
Department of Education, Citizenship and Youth [Promoting and Developing
Education for Sustainable Development in Manitoba]

Special performance by the O Beautiful Gaia Singers.
Come out to learn about the Earth Charter, the United Nations Decade on
Education for Sustainable Development, and Manitoba's inspiring model of
sustainability education. Book sales and displays. This lecture is part of
Saint Mary's University's Sustainability Conversations Speaker Series. Free
and open to the public, all welcome! For more information, please contact
NSEN www.nsen.ca Email nsen at cen-rce.org or Phone 454-6846.

3.
First Annual Sustainability Education Symposium at SMU Saturday, Mar. 29 and
30, 2008
Peacebuilding and Earthkeeping: Building a Culture of Respect for People and
the Planet
Saturday, March 29 and Sunday, March 30, 2008
Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
The First Annual Sustainability Education Symposium will focus on successful
ways to teach and learn about peace and the environment. It will provide
examples of effective and practical programs, as well as techniques and
strategies for creating a culture of respect for people and the planet. This
will be an excellent opportunity for educators in the school system and in
society to learn from each other and to share resources. Special features
include keynote speakers, workshops, film screenings, youth panel, and
experiential learning.
Registration Fees (includes snacks, lunch on Saturday, and all symposium
materials)
Full Conference: Regular registration: $65.00 / Student / Low income: $45.00
(note that the number of subsidized spaces is limited and will be allocated
on a first-come, first-served basis). This symposium will sell out!
Sunday Only (9 am - 1 pm) Regular registration: $25.00
Spaces are limited, so register early!
For more information or to register for the Symposium, please see:
http://peacefulschoolsinternational.org/symposium/symposium.htm

4.
Sustainability Education Public Reception and Art Display: Trashformation
2008 on Sat. March 29
Peacebuilding and Earthkeeping: Building a Culture of Respect for People and
the Planet
Saturday, March 29
5:30-6:30 pm
Saint Mary's University Art Gallery, 5865 Gorsebrook Avenue
Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
The public is invited to a free food & drink reception and art display to
celebrate the winners of the Trashformation 2008 Art Contest and the first
Annual Sustainability Education Symposium. MP Alexa McDonough is the keynote
speaker. The Gallery is located on the 1st floor of the Loyola Academic
Complex on The Saint Mary's University Campus, accessible from Gorsebrook
Avenue or off Robie Street south of the McNally Building.

5.
Towards Fairness and Sustainability Public Forum & Reception with Jack
Layton Halifax March 27
Thursday, March 27, 2008
1:00 - 2:00 PM Forum
2:00 - 3:00 PM Reception
Mount Saint Vincent University
166 Bedford Highway, Seton Auditorium A
Jack Layton, MP Federal Leader NDP
Leonard Preyra, MLA Provincial NDP Critic for Post-Secondary Education,
Immigration and the Youth Secretariat
Tamara Lorincz, Halifax West NDP Candidate
Come to hear from and meet the Leader of the Federal NDP Party Leader Jack
Layton, NDP MLA Leonard Preyra, and Halifax West NDP Candidate Tamara
Lorincz. At this free public forum, they will discuss the NDP approach to
climate change, the environment, the economy and education. A question &
answer period and food & drink reception will follow. All welcome! For more
information, please phone the MSVU Student Union at 457-6434.

6.
Funding for the Environment? Challenges and opportunities on April 1 at 7:30
pm Halifax
Community Foundation of Nova Scotia, Environmental Trust Fund, and more!
Tuesday, April 1 from 7:30-9:00 PM in Room 105, Weldon Law School, 6061
University Avenue, Dalhousie University, Halifax.
Come to learn about the Community Foundation of Nova Scotia's environmental
endowment incentive and grant programs and the Nova Scotia Environmental
Network's funding resources. Find out more about the funding crisis due to
the federal government's cuts to environmental and climate changes programs.
Learn about the opportunities possible from Nova Scotia's Environmental
Trust Fund. Fundraising information and funding applications will be
available. Organized by the Nova Scotia Environmental Network and
co-sponsored by the Environmental Law Students Society and Dalhousie Law
School Pro Bono. For more information, please call (902) 454-6846, email
nsen at cen-rce.org or visit our web site: www.nsen.ca

7.
March 29 - Earth Hour (turn off lights for an hour) at 8 p.m. in Halifax
http://www.wwf.ca/earthhour/
KAIROS asks you, your church, and your community to join in this global
effort as part of your commitment to the Re-Energize: Time For A Carbon
Sabbath campaign (http://www.kairoscanada.org/e/action/earthhour/index.asp).
Use this time to reflect on your use of fossil fuels and their connections
not just to climate change but to human rights and conflict as well. Build
community around these issues. Advocate with local and federal governments
to change their policies and practices related to fossil fuels.
Want to get started?
Download the "KAIROS Earth Hour Kit" (PDF file)-- it has ideas big and
small, from turning out the lights at home to approaching your community
government, local businesses, and the whole community to turn out the
lights:
http://www.kairoscanada.org/e/action/earthhour/KitForEarthHourMarch-29.pdf

8.
"Mining Uranium in Nova Scotia?" A panel discussion and public forum
Tuesday, April 1, 7:30 p.m. Beveridge Arts Centre 244 Acadia University,
Wolfville.
Panelists:
Roger Hunka, Environmental Resources Secretariat, Native Council of Nova
Scotia
Gillian Thomas, Environmental Activist, CAPE Mining Committee
Bill Zimmerman, Wolfville Town Councillor
Sheila Zurbrigg, Physician and Health Historian
(Storm date is April 8)
Sponsored by CAPE (Citizen Action to Protect the Environment), Ecology
Action Centre and Council of Canadians (Annapolis Valley Branch).

9.
Environmental Education Caucus Meeting on Friday, April 4th, from 10:00am to
12:00pm at the Clean Nova Scotia office in Dartmouth (126 Portland Street).
Chair: Daisy Kidston
Programs Coordinator
Climate Change Centre, Clean Nova Scotia
902-420-6684
kidston at clean.ns.ca
www.clean.ns.ca/ccc

10.
"For Just Such a Time as This: Our World, Our G8, Our Challenge" March 30th
2008, 7 pm, Halifax
St. Matthew's United Church, 1479 Barrington Street
The Canadian Council of Churches would like to invite you to For Just Such a
Time as This: Our World, Our G8, Our Challenge. This informational and
inspirational public lecture and discussion with Professor John Kirton,
director of the G8 Research Group of the Munk Centre for International
Studies at the University of Toronto outlines the G8, the promises they have
made in regards to improving the lives of the poor and vulnerable, the
Millennium Development Goals, and what we as Canadians can do. Between now
and 2010, when the G8 meets in Canada, we as Canadians have the opportunity
to educate ourselves about G8 issues and to urge our government to take a
stronger role in the following through of G8 commitments. Too many people
die daily in our world. In our time, in our place, we can change that
reality.
HALIFAX