[Sust-mar] Garden Helper & Program Coordinator (2 positions), Windhorse Forest & Farm, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Oct 16 13:11:34 EDT 2008

[as posted to PlanetVolunteer http://PlanetVolunteer.net ]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Two positions:

(1) Garden helper for the month of November

    (barter position -- room, board & stipend)

(2) Program Coordinator beginning for the month of November

    continuing through the year. (paid employment)

Location: New Germany, Nova Scotia

Term of employment as program coordinator: November 2008

to Aug 2009, with the possibility of an extension.

ABOUT WINDHORSE FARM

Windhorse Farm is situated on a peaceful lake in

southwestern Nova Scotia. This heritage farm has been

worked sustainably for 168 years and is a diversified

celebration of rural life; retail eco-wood business and

forestry, permaculture gardens, food processing, seed

saving, native plant nursery, and domestic animal care.

We are a family farm with neighboring employees, many

friends and visitors, set in 250 acres of Acadian forest

welcoming people who share our enthusiasm for rural,

personal and community development in a meditative

learning environment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POSITION 1:

Garden helper for the month of November

(barter position for room, board & stipend)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The garden responsibilities will include:

* learning the 4 season harvest, care of herbs, deadheading

flowers and herbs, harvesting apples and other fall crops,

storage of vegetables, fruits and herbs, mulching,

composting,and seed saving.

* Other tasks will be in greenhouse culture inventory of

seeds, sharpening tools and organization of storage spaces

* Must have an eagerness to live in a rustic cabin and live

a simple life off the grid.

* interacting cheerfully with people, giving tours and

guidance for others to work in the garden.

* food processing, canning, freezing, drying and cooking

meals for others

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POSITION 2: Program Coordinator/Host

(paid employment)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This position is part time gardening (see description

above) plus part-time Program Coordinator/Host.

The host's responsibilities will include:

* providing friendly and effective service to visitors,

retreatants, vacationers, and program participants,

* arranging, scheduling and coordinating visits and

programs,

* communicating about opportunities existing at Windhorse

Farm and how people can participate,

* budgeting for programs and facilities rentals, and

* hosting and facilitating conversations and gatherings.

LIVING SITUATION

* You will be housed in a rustic cabin, off grid (solar

power) by a well, with kitchen, wood heat --- short walk

to gardens, offices and gardens.

You will be outfitted with a fully equipped kitchen and

shower facilities in the farmhouse. There are also a sauna

ponds and lakes.

These positions could be filled by a single non-smoking

individual or couple. We are about 10 min drive form

Bridgewater and 1.15 from Halifax so a car might come

in handy. We meditate together in the afternoon and

occasionally have potluck dinners. Email access and phone

with card available. VCR and DVD player in pavilion with

couches and stove. Please refer to our website for more

information on buildings, meditation and farm philosophy.

TO APPLY

Please send your resume and brief covering note to

margaret at windhorsefarm.org as soon as possible.

--

Windhorse Farm

http://www.windhorsefarm.org

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at

GoodWorkCanada.ca.

PLEASE KEEP GOODWORK SUSTAINABLE:

(1) Help spread the word -- please tell others about GoodWork.

(2) When applying, tell them you saw this opportunity on GoodWork.

(3) Contribute if you can: http://planetfriendly.net/goodworkdonate.html

POST A JOB OR OTHER LISTING:

GoodWork Green Jobs: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

PlanetVolunteer: http://PlanetVolunteer.net

Green Events Calendar: http://Planetfriendly.net/calendar/

Contact us: http://Planetfriendly.net/inquiry.html

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

UN-SUBSCRIBE: the unsubscribe address is found at

the very bottom of this message, and here:

GOODWORK relies on your payments and contributions.

Please make your cheque payable to:  People and Planet,

PO Box 21006, RPO Ottawa South, Ottawa ON, Canada  K1S 5N1.

Or donate online: http://Planetfriendly.net/donate.html

Pay online: http://Planetfriendly.net/goodworkpmt.html

(Not tax-deductible. If you want a receipt, please indicate so,

and include your e-mail address so we can send you one.)

DISCLAIMER: GoodWork/People & Planet does not verify the

accuracy of the messages and listings we distribute. We also do

not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved.

It is the responsibility of the reader to confirm important details

with the other party/organization, and to take any suitable

precautions before accepting employment, a contract or

any other arrangement.

This posting will also be published online.

Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca