[Sust-mar] Dance for the World

The Sustainable Times times at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Sep 3 14:59:28 EDT 2008

September 3, 2008

What do Mel Clarke and Ella Tetrault have in common?  There are both young women
from Nova Scotia who have volunteered overseas with Canada's largest volunteer
sending organization, CUSO VSO -  plus they ‘love to dance'!

That's why they are excited about the Dance For The World campaign being
launched on September 9th in Halifax in Katimavik Boardroom, 5663 Cornwallis
Street, Suite 203 at 4pm.

The Campaign uses ‘Dance’ as an expression of solidarity with people around the
world.  Nova Scotians are asked to raise funds to support projects administered
by Canadian volunteers working overseas.  Local Dance for the World organizers
welcome ventures that may range from dance instructors attending an evening
event to teach donors how to salsa OR perhaps a youth group wants to hold a car
wash then celebrate at the Campaign end through dance.  The options are wide
open with the goal being to raise funds to support CUSO VSO volunteers
currently volunteering overseas.

CUSO-VSO is one of Canada’s most respected international development
organizations that work through volunteers. Dance for the World is their
national fundraising campaign taking place in cities across Canada this
November 2008.  CUSO and VSO Canada overseas volunteers work in partnership
with local communities in 44 countries around the world.

In homes and offices across the country and at major events in seven cities
(Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax and Charlottetown),
Canadians will gather and ‘move to a new global beat.’ Together, they’ll learn
new dances, sample new cultures and generally have a great time in support of
the many partners and individuals we work with around the developing world.

CUSO VSO’s overseas volunteers work to combat poverty and build strong
communities, these volunteers represent some of the most skilled talent working
in Education, HIV & AIDS, Disability, Health & Social Well-being, Participation
and Governance, Secure Livelihoods and Natural Resource Management.

Ella Tetrault is recently back in Halifax after working in West Africa where she
encountered crippling resource shortages that restrict the potential impact
projects may have in benefiting a community. All net funds raised at Dance for
the World support CUSO-VSO’s Volunteer Partnership Fund. Ella is thrilled that
“this fund will address critical resource shortfalls in our volunteers’
projects, allowing long-term volunteers and their partners to address small
funding shortages that threaten project results. Last year when I was in Ghana
this fund would have made a huge difference in my work.”

Mel Clarke, currently working in Ghana reports “Proceeds from the Dance For The
World campaign will benefit my work in that it will give me access to much
needed resources.  Dance is a common expression around the world – when I visit
a small village I am welcomed through song and dance.”

The Dance for the World campaign runs till November 15th when it wraps up with a
huge celebration at The Church, North St at Fuller Terrace.  Details can be
found at www.dancefortheworld.ca or contact CUSO Atlantic at 1 800 676-8411
cuso.atlantic at cuso.ca for information on how you can get involved.