[Sust-mar] UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS for peace, earth and justice!

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Tue Sep 16 10:20:47 EDT 2008

UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS for peace, earth and justice!
Please spread the word.

PUBLIC DISCUSSION "LIVING ON EARTH AS IF WE WANT TO STAY"
Wednesday, September 17 from 7:30-9:00 PM, Dalhousie Law School, 6061
University Ave. Halifax. One by one, people are realizing that human
activity cannot grow forever on a finite planet. Our purpose is to enjoy
living while managing the planet for generations to come." Mike Nickerson,
long-time sustainability educator and author of Life, Money & Illusion:
Living on Earth as if we want to stay," along with his wife, Donna Dillman,
the uranium activist who went 68 days without food last fall to protest
exploration near their home in eastern Ontario, will be in Halifax as part
of their international tour on September 17th. Organized by the Nova Scotia
Environmental Network and the Council of Canadians. For more information,
please call (902) 454-6846, email nsen at cen-rce.org  www.nsen.ca

'SHIFTING PERSPECTIVES: YOUTH ACTION FOR GLOBAL CHANGE' SEPT. 18
Usin gthe power of film, two Halifax-based international non-governmental
organizations want to cultivate further understanding and awareness ofglobal
issues. The Nova Scotia-Gambia Association and Peaceful Schools
International have partnered to host an evening of speakers and film
todiscuss the visual medium. Supported by the Atlantic Council
forInternational Cooperation, short documentaries and discussion willfocus
on the existing efforts and future possibilities of productions by youth and
the motivating and educational results of these endeavours. All are welcome
to attend this free of charge evening of discussion and ideas¨Dexpressed
verbally and visually on Thursday, September 18th in Room 105 of the Weldon
Law Building,Dalhousie University campus, 7-9pm.

FILM SCREENING: ¡°RUDY HAASE¡± NOVA SCOTIA¡¯S BEST UNKNOWN ENVIRONMENTAL ¨C
SEPT. 22 Cape Breton filmmaker Neal Livingston's latest work is a
biographical documentary on one of Canada's longest-serving activists, Rudy
Haase. An American who came to Canada during the Vietnam years, Haase has
been involved in struggles...      Sat, Sep 22, 2:05 PM  | Park Lane ¨C 4,
Spring Garden Rd. Halifax
Atlantic Film Festival: http://www.atlanticfilm.com/

IF WOMEN COUNTED FILM SCREENING AND DISCUSSION IN TRURO ON SEPT. 23
Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 7:00-9:30 PM
Nova Scotia Community College, Arthur Street, Truro, NS.  (go to the Salon
off the Cafeteria)
Free public event. All welcome.
Come to watch the powerful documentary ¡°Who¡¯s Counting: Marilyn Waring on
Sex, Lies and Global Economics¡± (1995). About this film, David Suzuki said,
¡°I give the film and Ms. Waring every superlative ¨C riveting, revealing,
inspiring, etc¡­ It penetrates to the heart of the global, ecological, and
social crisis that afflicts the world¡­ required viewing for all who know we
are on a destructive path and want to get off.¡± After the film, engage in a
moderated discussion about women¡¯s role in society and the importance of
women in leadership, politics and business facilitated by Tamara Lorincz,
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network, and a founding member
of Equal Voice Nova Scotia. Refreshments and draw prizes.
If women counted, how would our world be different and better?
A special event sponsored by the Zonta Club of Truro Area
The Zonta Club of Truro Area, is  an affiliate of Zonta International, a
global organization of women and men working together to advance the status
of women worldwide through service and advocacy. Zonta members volunteer
their time, talents and money to local and international service projects,
as well as scholarship and award programs aimed at furthering women's
education, leadership and youth development. For more information call
897-2625 or check out www.zonta.org

BOOK LAUNCH: FROM POVERTY TO POWER: HOW ACTIVE CITIZENS AND EFFECTIVE STATES
CAN CHANGE THE WORLD
Most of us feel overwhelmed when we contemplate the number of people across
the globe suffering the brunt of poverty. Join editor Mark Fried at the
launch of Oxfam International's new book, From Poverty to Power, for a
discussion on how ordinary people through organized action can help
eliminate poverty, and its related challenges of inequality and
environmental collapse. Mark Fried is the Advocacy Coordinator for Oxfam
Canada and writes regularly on policy issues related to international
development.
Oxfam Canada (www.oxfam.ca) is an international development agency working
with over 100 partner organizations in Africa, the Americas and Asia. With a
specific focus on women, Oxfam strives to tackle the root causes of poverty,
injustice, and inequality and it helps to create self-reliant and
sustainable communities.

Two NS locations:
HALIFAX
Tuesday September 30, 2008
North Branch Public Library, Gottingen St
7:00 - 8:30pm

WOLFVILLE
Wednesday October 1st, 2008
Al Whittle Theatre, Wolfville
7:00 - 9:00pm

¡°STORY OF STUFF: TOWARD SUSTAINABLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION¡± FILM &
DISCUSSION SEPT & OCT The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a
huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to
create a more sustainable and just world. Join us for the screening of this
popular film followed by a discussion to explore ways we can become more
sustainable. Participants will also learn about the new Nova Scotia
Environmental Goals and Sustainable Prosperity Act and how citizens can
become more environmentally and socially responsible. Participants will
receive resources to help them take action in their homes and communities.
There will also be draw prizes for the new book "Go Green: How to Build an
Earth-Friendly Community."  Presented by Tamara Lorincz, Executive Director
of the Nova Scotia Environmental Network and the Coordinator of the
Sustainability Education in Nova Scotia for Everyone Working Group.
¡ì	Musquodoboit Harbour Public Library Wed, Sept 24/6:30 p.m.
Registration required.
¡ì	Alderney Gate Public Library Wed, Oct 1/7 p.m.
¡ì	Keshen Goodman Public Library Wed, Oct 8/7 p.m.
¡ì	Tantallon Public Library Tues, Oct 21/7 p.m.

DR. HELEN CALDICOTT ¡°"HOW NUCLEAR ENERGY AND GLOBAL WARMING AFFECTS YOUR
HEALTH¡± ON 7PM TH. SEPT. 25 HALIFAX Thursday, September 25 from 7:00-9:00
PM, McNally Theatre, Saint Mary¡¯s University, 923 Robie St, Halifax. Dr.
Helen Caldicott, internationally acclaimed nuclear activist, author, and
Nobel Prize nominee will be speaking in Halifax. This free public talk is
organized by Physicians for Global Survival and sponsored by Dalhousie
University  and Saint Mary's University. For more information: www.pgs.ca

NAOMI KLEIN, "SHOCK DOCTRINE: THE RISE OF DISASTER CAPITALISM" FRIDAY, SEPT.
26 MCCAIN BLDG. DALHOUSIE. Naomi Klein, journalist and author of "No Logo"
and "Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism" will be speaking in
Halifax on Friday, Sept. 26 at Ondaatje Theatre in the McCain Building, at
Dalhousie University, 6045 University Avenue. More about Naomi:
http://www.naomiklein.org

NSEN ANNUAL GATHERING ON SAT. OCT. 4 IN HALIFAX ¨C SEND A REP!
The Nova Scotia Environmental Network is hosting its Annual Gathering to
bring environmentalists together to share ideas and resources on our most
pressing environmental challenges and to celebrate our successes. Come to
hear key note speakers, find ways to work better together, strategize, and
create a vision and actions for the environmental movement. The gathering is
entitled ¡°Working Together to Create a Sustainable Future¡± that will be
held on Saturday, October 4 9:30AM-4:30 PM Women¡¯s Council House, 989 Young
Ave, Halifax. We will hear from Emile Jr. Massenat, Associate Executive
Director of the Canadian Environmental Network, have a key note from Jacques
Lapointe, Auditor General of the Province of Nova Scotia (to be confirmed),
and have a strategic planning session with Rochelle Owen, Director of the
Office of Sustainability, Dalhousie University and former Atlantic Head of
Public Education and Engagement at Environment Canada. NSEN Member $15
Non-member $25 (includes Individual Membership) please register before
October 1. See the attached registration form for more details and to
register.

NOVA SCOTIA¡¯S POWER OF GREEN CONFERENCE ON MONDAY, OCT. 20
Nova Scotia government¡¯s conference on sustainability and innovative green
business opportunities and technologies. Stay tuned to the web site for the
schedule and registration: http://www.thepowerofgreen.ca/

NATURE TRUST 11TH ANNUAL DINNER AND SILENT AUCTION ON OCT. 30, 2008 ¨C
TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW! Regular tickets (normally $125) and Patron tickets
(normally $175). The Nature Trust¡¯s largest annual event and fundraiser
with Stephen Lewis, world-famous health activist, who places his well-known
passion and vision towards the topic of the connection between land
conservation and world health. More info: http://www.nsnt.ca/

OXFAM IN THE WORLD: WOMEN AND THE FIGHT AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE SCHEDULE
The effects of climate change are more obvious by the day and already having
a disproportionate impact on people in developing countries, and it¡¯s
hitting women hardest. Come and view a short film about a woman determined
to do her part to put a stop to climate change. For more information see
www.oxfam.ca or call 425-7877. Oxfam Canada is an international development
agency working with partners worldwide to tackle the root causes of poverty,
injustice and inequality. It works to create self-reliant and sustainable
communities with a specific focus on women.

Keshen Goodman Public Library
Wednesday, October 29/7:00 pm

Alderney Gate Public Library
Wednesday, November 5/7:00 pm

Halifax North Memorial Public Library
Thursday, October 30/7:00 pm
Find out more: http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca

OCTOBER 2: JIM STANFORD ¨C CANADIAN CENTRE FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVE FUNDRAISER
On October 2, CCPA-NS are host-ing an exciting evening with dynamic speaker
Jim Stanford complimented by Chef Franco¡¯s food at the Italian Cultural
Centre in Halifax. It will prove to be the progres-sive¡¯s event of the year
for 2008. In addition, your ticket purchase will support the work of CCPA-NS
as this will mark our first annual Fall fundraiser. Tickets for Jim
Stanford: $35.00 for general tickets, $30.00 for CCPA ¨C NS members and $25.
00 for students. Book them soon! For $500.00, you can book a special table
of eight and we will ensure you get recognition in our program. CCPA-NS¡¯
work relies on members and donors. Your ticket purchase will help us to
counter the message that there are no alternatives. To purchase tickets,
please call Joan Wark, Chair of the CCPA-NS Board  at her office at 454.6735
or email: joan.wark at ns.sympatico.ca or drop by Outside the Lines Bookstore
where tickets will be available starting Tuesday, August 26th. The address
is: 6297 Quinpool Rd., Halifax (Hours: 10:30 am ¨C 8:00 pm Monday through
Friday 10:30 am ¨C 6:00 pm on Saturday). We regret that we cannot process
credit cards so cheques or cash are greatly appreciated.

"ARSENAL OF HYPOCRISY: THE U.S. SPACE PROGRAM AND ITS MILITARY INDUSTRIAL
COMPLEX" OCT. 7
Tuesday, October 7 from 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Just Us! Caf¨¦
5896 Spring Garden Rd.
Halifax
Free. All Welcome.
*In recognition of International Keep Space for Peace Week*
A free public showing of an important film for International Keep Space for
Peace Week. The film features Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power
in Space Coordinator Bruce Gagnon, Noam Chomsky and Apollo 14 astronaut
Edgar Mitchell talking about the very real dangers of moving the arms race
into space. The one-hour production features archival footage, Pentagon
documents, and clearly outlines the U.S. plan to "control and dominate"
space and the Earth below. Noam Chomsky talks about how the U.S. intends to
use space technology to control the Earth and reminds the viewer that the U.
S. refuses to negotiate a global ban on weapons in space. He also speaks
about the role of the media in suppressing this important current issue. The
screening is co-organized with the Nova Scotia Voice of Women. For more
information, please contact the Halifax Peace Coalition at
hfxpeace at chebucto.ca or visit us online at www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca

SENSE: SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION MEETING ON MON. NOV. 3
We will be having an important SENSE general meeting on Monday, November 3
from 9:30am-3:30pm in room 20106 of the Nova Scotia Teachers' Union, 3106
Joseph Howe Drive (north of the Armdale Rotary) in Halifax. The Nova Scotia
Community College President Dr. Joan McArthur-Blair has been invited to be
our key note, the Nova Scotia Department of Education will share their
sustainability education work, we will develop action plans for
sustainability education in Nova Scotia, and we will be screening our first
SENSE film! We will have a delicious catered lunch. The meeting is open to
anyone interested in sustainability education, please RSVP to ensure enough
seats and lunch: nsen at cen-rce.org

FOR OUR BIRDS 2008: SHARING SCIENCE, CONSERVATION AND EDUCATION ABOUT BIRDS
IN NOVA SCOTIA IN NOV.!
Rowe Management Building, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
9:00 a.m., Saturday, November 15 to 1:00 p.m., Sunday, November 16, 2008
Conference Objectives: Increase communication about the science and
conservation of birds; Engage new people in bird conservation; Increase
public awareness and action for birds. Keynote address: Dr. Janis Dickinson,
Director of Citizen Science at Laboratory of Ornithology, Cornell
University. The conference will begin with a keynote address by Janis
Dickinson, Director of Citizen Science at Cornell University. On Saturday,
scientists, birders and government representatives will be making
presentations. On Sunday workshops will offer more opportunity for
interaction and discussion. Overall we want to ensure that there is a good
mix of learning, sharing of information and exchange of views. On Saturday
evening from 4:30 to 6:30 there will be refreshments (wine and cheese/beer
and chips) to allow participants to mingle and discuss the day's
presentations. This will also be an opportunity for students and researchers
to present their research and projects (poster session).You can view a
tentative schedule here:
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/coastal/birds/index.html

ENJOY!

Tamara Lorincz
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
CESR: http://cesr.dsu.dal.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NDP: http://www.tamaralorincz.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" -
Dr. Martin Luther King