[Sust-mar] OPEN LETTER TO NS NDP: No to Cadet Day in NS & Law Amendments Submission

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Tue May 4 00:50:27 EDT 2010

Hello Sust-Mar,

At the top of this message is an open letter that I sent to every NDP MLA
expressing my opposition to the proposed Bill No. 23 "Cadet Day". Below is
the submission I made to the Law Amendments Committee on Bill No. 23. This
is one of the worst examples of deceiving children in Nova Scotia.

If you are outraged like I am, please contact the Premier and your MLA:
premier at gov.ns.ca
Thank you, Tamara Lorincz

****

OPEN LETTER - May 2, 2010

Dear Nova Scotia NDP Premier and MLAs,

I am very concerned that the NDP introduced Bill No. 23 "Sea, Army, Air and
Navy League Cadets Day Act" with the aim of encouraging young Nova Scotians
to join the Cadet program as a way for the military to recruit them later.
The Cadet League of Canada-Nova Scotia Provincial Committee is very clear
that "stimulat[ing] an interest in the Canadian Forces" is one of its three
main objectives: http://www.aircadetleague.ns.ca/documents.htm

The text of Bill No. 23 is here:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/LEGISLATURE/legc/bills/61st_2nd/1st_read/b023.htm but
it does not fully portray the skills that young people learn including
"marksmanship, rifle training, and gaining a healthy respect for firearms."

Check out the picture of the girl holding the rifle in the NS Air Cadet
League: http://www.aircadetleague.ns.ca/ (though boys dominate cadets-it is
not a popular program for girls). Why did the NDP not honestly describe the
cadet program in the bill and mention that the skills include weapons
training?

As the Hansard debate clearly laid out on April 27, it is a measure to
encourage young people to support and join the military:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/LEGISLATURE/hansard/han61-2/house_10apr27.htm Why do we
want our young people involved in the cadet program and military only to
prepare to "fight with the Canadian Forces" and possibly go to war?

I find it shocking what Premier Dexter said about the cadet program and what
MLA Manning MacDonald said about NS cadets on US warships learning about the
invasion of Cambodia and the use of Agent Orange (both illegal by the US)
http://www.gov.ns.ca/LEGISLATURE/hansard/han61-2/house_10apr27.htm.

The Cadet program is NOT a program with our children's best interests in
mind. It is a program historically devised as a way to maintain a militia in
this country over a hundred years ago and it is now funded and directed by
the Department of National Defence as a recruitment strategy.

It is very sad that the NDP would fast-track a "Cadet Day" for the first
Saturday of November every year when this province doesn't even have a
"Children's Day" (universally recognized on November 20). The NDP could have
also established a "4-H Day" to encourage young people to become farmers and
gardeners - we need young people to create local, organic food systems not
to learn how to use weapons. There are better youth programs: the Adventure
Earth Centre, Peaceful Schools International, the Young Naturalists Club,
Nova Scotia Sea School, and the Nova Scotia Youth Conservation Corps, where
our young people can learn respect for each other and for the earth. A
militarized economy and society are not sustainable and are not in the best
interests of our children and this province.

Why is the NDP really supporting "Cadets Day"? Why was there so little
critical debate on Bill No. 23? I see that the bill passed second reading on
Tuesday and went to law amendments committee on Thursday. How can this bill
be stopped? How can there be a full, honest debate in the house on this
bill?

Finally, I would like to have the correspondence to the Premier's office
related to this bill and to find out who else lobbied for this bill.

I look forward to a response from the NDP,

Tamara Lorincz

PS. Please be aware that I plan to tell everyone that I believe that the NDP
was not honest in the Legislature about its true intentions for "Cadet Day"
and in the wording of the bill that it did not mention "weapons training". I
will also encourage all my friends with children to NOT have their children
join the Cadet program.

REFERENCES (Please look at the documents and pictures to see what the cadet
programs are about)

Cadet League of Canada-Nova Scotia Provincial Committee
http://www.aircadetleague.ns.ca/documents.htm

Army Cadet League of Nova Scotia
http://www.armycadetleaguens.ca/

Sea Cadet-Atlantic Region
http://www.cadets.ca/regions/atl/content-contenu.aspx?id=52035

Federal Government Public Spending - Department of National Defence 2009
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/recgen/pdf/50-eng.pdf
(p. 18-10 on Cadet program)

Department of National Defence Plans and Priorities 2010-2011
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rpp/2009-2010/inst/dnd/dnd-eng.pdf
(DND Target to increase youth in cadet program p. 24)

TO:	Law Amendments Committee