[Sust-mar] Late Autumn at Windhorse Farm

Saskia Tait saskiatait at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 14:02:01 EDT 2010

Greetings from Windhorse Farm!

If you did not sign up to receive our monthly newsletter for news about what's happening at Windhorse Farm (programs, retreats, and more), you can review our November issue by clicking here.
Take time for a personal or family retreat. Be sure to check out our Holiday Retreat and Renewal Special: Stay for 2 nights and get 1 free!

Warm regards,

Windhorse Farm
www.windhorsefarm.org
info at windhorsefarm.org

Dear Saskia,

Is it November already?
The leaves, having given up attachment,
have left naked their trees
to cover the soft ground with fading colour.

The beavers are busy
cutting down the trees,
sinking next winter's food near their lodge
Are they undoing our work or are we co-creating?

Willow brook is raising his voice
as he rushes down through the rocks,
forming the earth more slowly
than she shapes his water.

The sauna is inviting without bias.
The forest trails can accommodate all footsteps.
The still lake surface is announcing the last call for canoes.
The warm fires gently encourage relaxation.

Your family can join ours in this peaceful place
with just enough elemental excitement.
Call Steve to make your reservation.
We're waiting for you.

 Take time for a personal or family retreat. Be sure to check out our winter Holiday Retreat and Renewal Special (stay for 2 nights, and get 1 free). Please contact Steve to arrange for a visit.

Best wishes,
Jim & Margaret Drescher

Seasonal Message from the Forest

Dead wood is the life of the forest.
Unquestionably, there is more life in a dead tree than in a live one. Therefore it should not be removed from the forest, but allowed to decompose naturally
The role of dead wood is to nurture others. In fact, almost half of the thousands of species of animals in the Acadian Forest live in or on or from dead wood.
It offers richness by holding moisture, letting go of its accumulated nutrients, and providing food and shelter for countless living beings.
The ever-changing, interdependent healthy forest would die if it were not for dead wood. As is said, “A forest without dead wood is a dead forest.”

Holiday Retreat & Renewal Special

Take time for a personal or family retreat. Stay for 2 nights and get 1 free. Valid from December 15 - January 2. Book now to reserve a place!

Forest Practice

Stand like a tree.
Sit like a frog.
Lie down like a rotting log.

See forms like an owl.
Hear sounds like the white-tailed deer.
Smell the wind like a horse.
Taste nectar like a bee.
Feel your world like a bob cat.

Be discrimination without commentary.

Be fully human:
Upright and balanced,
Tender and fearless,
Open, spacious and relaxed.

There is nothing missing
So take the royal seat—
Protect this earth and all our relations.

Windhorse Wins Sustainability Award

Each month, the Lunenburg Regional Community Recycling Centre seeks a company in Lunenburg County that successfully implements sustainable practices. The Centre was impressed with our sustainability vision and practices, and how we integrate them into all of our activities and businesses. Learn more about how we are working to demonstrate and inspire living and working sustainably through the"Five Filters Analytical Process",Natural Step Indicators, earth-stewardship education, and sustainably designed and servicedmeeting spaces andaccommodations. Our facilities showcase in-floor heating, kachelofen heating, heritage restoration, cob walls, salvaged materials, flooring made in ourwoodshop from "eco-wood" certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and Nagaya Forest Restoration, and feng shui principles. Meals served at Windhorse Farm are seasonal, fresh, organic and fair trade, usually grown on-site in our gardens and orchards.