[Sust-mar] Peaceful rally against the arms show this Thursday and films this Sunday

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Thu Sep 9 00:06:53 EDT 2010

Hello Sust-Mar!

Hope everyone had a good summer. Sorry for cross-postings. Please circulate
far & wide. Thank you!

(1)
Peaceful rally against the DefSec 2010 Arms Exhibition & the Lockheed Martin
Fighter Jets Thursday, September 9
4:00-6:00 p.m.
Cunard Centre, Marginal Rd.
* The Halifax Peace Coalition is organizing a peaceful rally to protest
DefSec Atlantic 2010 arms exhibition at the Cunard Centre (on Marginal Road
behind the Westin Hotel). DefSec Atlantic is the largest weapons show east
of Ottawa. This rally is also an important opportunity to call on the
federal government to cancel its planned $16 billion purchase of Lockheed
Martin's Joint Strike Fighter planes. Lockheed Martin, the world's largest
weapons manufacturer, is getting a no-bid contract to supply the Canadian
military is fighter jets it does not need. This is the largest military
procurement by the Canadian government and it is giving away our tax dollars
to a US weapons dealer. The $16 billion could be used instead on education,
health care, renewable energy and affordable housing. The peaceful rally
will coincide with Lockheed Martin's Hour of Good Cheer at the Cunard
Centre. Please join us and bring banners and signs.
More information about DefSec Atlantic 2010 can be found here:
http://www.defsecatlantic.ca/index.asp
For more information about the rally and the Halifax Peace Coalition please
visit: www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca

(2)
Film Screening: Myths for Profits
Sunday, September 12
3:00-5:00 p.m.
Just Us Coffee Shop
5896 Spring Garden Road
The Halifax Peace Coalition is hosting a free public screening of the films
"Myths for Profit" and "Mother's Day at the Air Show" followed by a critical
discussion of the DefSec Atlantic 2010 Arms Exhibition and the Shearwater -
Halifax International Air (War) Show taking place on the weekend in Halifax.
Come to discuss how we can have a peaceful, green economy not a militarized
economy. More information about DefSec 2010 can be found here:
http://www.defsecatlantic.ca/index.asp
More information about the fighter jets flying during the Shearwater
-Halifax International Air Show can be found here: http://www.nsairshow.ca/
For more information about the rally and the Halifax Peace Coalition please
visit: www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca

(3)
Please also mark your calendars for Sept. 21 - Peace Day. I'm hoping to have
a special event :) More details to come.

*******

Tamara Lorincz
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary
spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility
to poverty, racism, and militarism." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1967