[Sust-mar] Fwd: Native Plant Pollinator Job Posting

Jen Stotland velveteyeball at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:51:00 EDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sonia Grant <urbangarden at ecologyaction.ca>
Date: Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM
Subject: Reminder: Native Plant Pollinator Job Posting
To: FAC <FAC at ecologyaction.ca>, gardenhalifax at lists.riseup.net

**

Hi everyone,

Please see below (and attached) a job posting for the position of Native
Plant Pollinator at the EAC. This was sent out earlier, but the deadline is
fast approaching: the posting closes this Friday, August 12 at 5pm!

I hope you are all keeping dry on this wet day, and that your gardens are
enjoying the rain,
Sonia

Job Posting
Urban Garden Project: Native Plant Pollinator Project

The Urban Garden Project (UGP) works to support communities growing their
own food. We work at a grassroots level on a diverse range of projects. We
are currently hiring a Native Plant Coordinator for the Native Plant
Pollinator Project. The Coordinator will work closely with the UGP
Coordinator to develop and deliver the project. The Coordinator will report
to the UGP Coordinator and to the Food Action Committee.

The Native Plant Coordinators duties include:
•       Working with five community run garden sites and their caretakers to
design and plant native plant and pollinator gardens.
•       Propagating native plants in the Bloomfield Community Greenhouse.
•       Developing and facilitating workshops on soil health, composting,
garden design, native plant care, natural pest and disease management,
rainwater catchment systems, and plant propagation.
•       Producing resource materials for gardeners on above workshop topics.
•       Hosting greenhouse tours and open houses.
•       Contributing articles on project work and native plants to the
Halifax Garden Network blog and Between the Issues Publication.
•       Conducting ongoing project evaluation and reporting to funders.
•       Supporting the work of the Food Action Committee and the Ecology
Action Centre.

Required skills and experience:
•       Strong knowledge of native plants in the area.
•       Experience in greenhouse management and native plant propagation.
•       Experience working with diverse communities.
•       Good communication skills, able to seek out assistance and feedback.
•       Enjoy working with people, able to facilitate large groups.
•       Strong organizational skills, able to create schedules, budgets and
write reports.

Desirable skills:
•       Knowledge of local food, food security and food politics.
•       Experience developing and facilitating workshops and programs.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages
applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women,
visible minorities, First Nations, and persons with disabilities.

Terms of Employment

Project Start Date: September 6th 2011
Project End Date: May 31st 2012

Native Plant Coordinator hours will vary seasonally as follows:
Sept 6th – Nov 25th: 35 hrs. a week
Nov 28th – May 4th: 21 hrs. a week
Pay: $20/hr.

To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and two references to Garity Chapman
at: garity at ecologyaction.ca

Application must be received by 5:00 pm Friday, August 12th, 2011
We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only
short-listed applicants will be contacted.
The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one of Nova Scotia’s
most active environmental organizations. The Centre welcomes new members and
volunteers: www.ecologyaction.ca

Sonia Grant - Urban Garden Project Summer Student
Ecology Action Centre
442-1077
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/
http://www.halifaxgardennetwork.com/

--
Jennifer Stotland, PDC
6838 Bayer's Road

--
And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, said Gandalf, if
anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit