[Sust-mar] 3 green job, internship and volunteer opportunities, NS

Peter Watson pwatson at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue May 24 12:05:39 EDT 2011

3 green job, internship and volunteer opportunities from GoodWork Green Jobs

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

1) Program Manager, f/t, Summerhill, Halifax, Nova Scotia

2) Internship: Program Mgt., f/t, Intntl. Conservation Fund, Chester, Nova Scotia

3) Forest Event Volunteers, Nova Scotia Nature Trust, Halifax, Nova Scotia

1)  EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Program Manager

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Summerhill develops and executes profitable strategies that move the market toward better choices for consumers and the environment. Currently we are seeking an experienced Program Manager to support an energy efficiency campaign. Preferred candidates will have previous experience and expertise in project/program delivery, marketing, sales and client relationship management. The position is based in Nova Scotia and reports into the head office in Toronto, Ontario.

Job Responsibilities:

. Manage development and day to day delivery of an energy efficiency program

. Assist with development and delivery of training programs for event staff and store associates

. Coordinate and facilitate various media events

. Develop and distribute progress reports to program and business stakeholders

. Coordinate the drafting and production of program related marketing and communication materials

. Analyze and report on program results

. Provide management and mentorship to program team members

. Able to work evenings and weekends during campaign delivery periods

Job Skill Requirements:

. 3+ years of related work experience

. Must possess a strong character, sound judgment, confidence and enthusiasm

. A passion for the environment is essential

. Experience with business development

. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; French is an asset

. Excellent computer skills including MS Office suite of tools

. Ability to work well independently, multi-task and self-manage

. Excellent organization and detail management skills

. Experience managing the development of marketing, communication and media materials

. Experience handling media inquiries and performing media interviews

. Experience coordinating budgets

. Strong problem solving skills

. Strong ability to prioritize in a dynamic work environment

. Committed to meeting deadlines

. Must possess a valid driver's license

. Access to a reliable vehicle is an asset

To Apply for Consideration:

Please submit a cover letter and updated CV via e-mail to:

Jennifer Walsh,

Recruiting Director, Summerhill

jwalsh at summerhillgroup.ca

Thank you for your interest in Summerhill. Due to the volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone inquiries please.

Summerhill -- Voted 23rd Best Workplace in Canada by the Great Places to Work Institute, 2011.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

2) INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Internship: Program Management and development at a conservation NGO

Type: full-time 3-month internship, $2500/month

Location: Chester, Nova Scotia

The International Conservation of Canada (http://www.ICFCanada.org) is seeking an Intern to assist with running our conservation programs in Latin America and elsewhere. This is largely an administrative position.

The internship will last three months, with a possibility of further employment. The job is located in Chester, Nova Scotia, a village of about 1200 on Nova Scotia's Atlantic coast, about 45 minutes from Halifax.

The position comes with a stipend of $2500/month.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

- Help develop and implement projects, especially in Latin America;

- Communicate with partners who are carrying out our projects;

- Assist in writing reports about projects for our website and publications;

- Possibly making a field trip to visit one or more projects;

- Assist with publicizing ICFC;

- Communicate with donors and potential donors.

REQUIREMENTS:

- good writing and administrative skills

- Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status

- fluency in Spanish and English

- some knowledge of and interest in biology/natural history and conservation

- willingness to travel to third world countries and work in a range of cultural contexts

- excellent interpersonal skills

DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES:

- one or more university degrees

- past work in biodiversity conservation, conservation biology, wildlife biology or ecology

- past work or life experience in Latin America

- experience in or understanding of business or economics

- ability to make work-related oral presentations

- experience in fundraising or preparation of grant proposals

- logistical acumen and "street smarts"

- sophisticated understanding of real world politics in government and large corporations and organizations

ICFC is a Canadian registered charity dedicated to advancing the long-term conservation of nature and biodiversity, especially in the tropics.

Please apply in writing to:

Anne Lambert, Lambert at ICFCanada.org

and copy to Welch at ICFCanada.org (Tom Welch)

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

3) VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY

Role: Forest Exhibit Event Volunteers

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Nova Scotia Nature Trust is seeking volunteers for the weekend of June 3-5, 2011 and for Canada Day, July 1, 2011 for kid-friendly activities at the Museum of Natural History.

We will be involved with the museum's new interactive forest exhibit called Netukulimk, which explores people's relationship with Nova Scotia forests (Netukulimk is a Mi'kmaq word that reminds us that all life is connected). The Nature Trust will be running kid-friendly activities during the opening weekend of June 3-5, and we need volunteers to help out! As well, we will be celebrating Canada Day with the museum on Friday July 1, and again need volunteers to help out with our activities. If you can come for a few hours, or a full day, we would love to have your help.

If you are interested in volunteering, or have questions, please contact the Nature Trust Volunteer Coordinator, Nick, at nick at nsnt.ca or (902) 425-5263. Come join the Nature Trust team!

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com