[Sust-mar] Atlantic Youth Action Gathering - project of the Sierra Youth Coalition

Robin Tress halifax.yag at syc-cjs.org
Thu Aug 2 16:17:47 EDT 2012

Hello!

The Sierra Youth Coalition is hosting a Youth Action Gathering from August
10-13 at the Deanery in Ship Harbour, NS. This event aims to teach high
school students how to make their communities more sustainable, and
challenge unsustainable systems in society at large. This event is open to
all high school students from all across Atlantic Canada, registration fees
are on a sliding scale, and transportation assistance is available.

*Please share the below call-out for participants*! The event is fast
approaching and there is still plenty of space for more participants!
Attached is a hand-bill (double sided), should you want to print it out and
share it in your community.

--
Robin Tress
Halifax Youth Action Gathering Coordinator

*Sierra Youth Coalition’s Youth Action Gathering *

*August 10-13, 2012 in Lower West Ship Harbour, Nova Scotia***

*Young people in Canada know that sustainability is the critical issue of
our time*. We are concerned that unsustainable practices are happening all
around us in almost every area of our lives. We also see the great
opportunities for improving the quality of life, community cohesiveness,
health, and happiness by creating sustainable solutions to our collective
needs and wants. *The Youth Action Gathering *(YAG) seeks to create
andsupport an inclusive and respectful community of empowered youth
who
are ready and willing to *tackle sustainability issues* in their
communities head-on.

YAGs provide youth with the *skills, resources, and support* they need to
develop actions plans to build more sustainable communities. The project
brings together youth from diverse backgrounds to a safe space that
promotes and embodies environmental and social consciousness and *encourages
healthy and sustainable individuals and communities*. Youth will leave the
program infused with the ability to develop grassroots actions that affect
and include the greater community.

Through *outdoor activities*, *skills- and issues-based workshops,
campfires, and time to take in the forest and the beach,* this camp will
give participants a better understanding of our connection to ecosystems,
empower youth to make *sustainable changes* in their own lives, and help
participants develop projects that will enhance the sustainability of *their
own communities*.

The YAG will be held at *The Deanery in Lower West Ship Harbour* (about an
hour east of Dartmouth). There is a sliding scale cost for participants –
pay between $25-150 depending on your family’s economic capacity. Register
here<https://secure.sierraclub.ca/en/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=53>
!

            If you would like to volunteer to help the Youth Action
Gathering run smoothly, please contact *halifax.yag at syc-cjs.org*. A wide
range of volunteer positions are available -something for everybody’s
passions and skill set! These positions include free camp attendance. Volunteer
tasks include:

·         Food Donations Assistant. If you are into getting organic, local,
fair trade, vegetarian food and know any producers that can help us feed
the participants healthy food for cheap, this is the job for you!

·         Transportation God(dess). If you have access to a vehicle and are
able to pick up supplies/people before, during and/or at end of camp,
please let us know!

·         Interactive Workshop Leaders. If you are passionate about an
issue and have a message that you want to share with participants, why not
do so through an interactive workshop?

Email *halifax.yag at syc-cjs.org* if you are interested in any of these
volunteer opportunities!