[Sust-mar] Island Green premiers at the Atlantic Film Festival

Christopher Majka c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 13 20:45:20 EDT 2013

Dear Sustainable Maritimes,

Below is information on the premiere screening of a remarkable new film by Millefiore Clarkes (produced by Paul McNeill) entitled, Island Green.

In the last 50 years since industrialized farming took root in PEI, cancer and respiratory illness rates on this small, agricultural island have become the highest in Canada. Is there a link? Rather than dwelling on PEI’s worrisome monocropping practices, Island Green presents a poignant tale of hope, a healthy promise for Canada’s smallest province and dares to ask: What if PEI went entirely organic? Using beautiful imagery and poignant stories from the island’s organic farmers, PEI filmmaker Millefiore Clarkes explores a healthier future for Canada’s smallest province. And in the process, reminds us that we can rob the land only so much before it robs us of the nourishment we need for life.

Adding further beauty and poignancy to the production is evocative poetry written and read by Nova Scotia's own, Tanya Davis, the star of Andrea Dorfman's, How to be Alone (an Internet sensation closing in on 6 million YouTube hits.)

There are three opportunities to see this strikingly lyrical environmental film, showing at the Atlantic Film Festival on Sunday September 15 at 9:45 PM, Monday September 16 at 2:30 PM, and Tuesday September 17 at 12:00 PM.

On behalf of the National Film Board, we hope to see you there.

Christopher Majka

P.S. For more information, please visit our Facebook event page at: https://www.facebook.com/events/514072945340657/

View this page online.

The National Film Board of Canada
presents the world premiere of

Island Green

At the Atlantic Film Festival
with director Millefiore Clarkes and producer Paul McNeill in attendance

In the last 50 years since industrialized farming took root in PEI, cancer and respiratory illness rates on this small, agricultural island have become the highest in Canada.
Is there a link?

Rather than dwelling on PEI’s worrisome monocropping practices, Island Green presents a poignant tale of hope, a healthy promise for Canada’s smallest province and dares to ask: What if PEI went entirely organic?

Using beautiful imagery and poignant stories from the island’s organic farmers, PEI filmmaker Millefiore Clarkes explores a healthier future for Canada’s smallest province. And in the process, reminds us that we can rob the land only so much before it robs us of the nourishment we need for life.

September 15 at 9:45 PM
September 16 at 2:30 PM
September 17 at 12:00 PM

Park Lane Cinemas