[Sust-mar] BNS Job Opportunity - Please Circulate
susannadfuller at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 12:12:15 EDT 2013
*Bicycle Nova Scotia Director of Bicycle Culture & Blue Route Implementation
*Job Opportunity *
*Posted September 15, 2013*
Bicycle Nova Scotia *is the provincial organization of cyclists in Nova
Scotia. We are commuters, mountain bikers, racers, recreational riders and
elite athletes, who work together to grow cycling in Nova Scotia. Our
different sectors develop young athletes, collaborate with government and
other organizations to make cycling safe and accessible province-wide,
develop sustainable mountain bike trails and serve as the governing body
for all cycling competition in the province. *This project will be
supervised by the Road Education and Bikeways Advocacy (REBA) committee of
BNS, whose goal is to increase cycling in the province, particularly
commuting and to advocate for implementation of a province wide network of
branded bikeways called the "Blue Route".
*§ **Coordinate, with BNS board rep, the REBA committee and build BNS
*§ **Work collaboratively with organizations in Nova Scotia currently
engaged in Active Transportation (AT) initiatives.*
*§ **Act as BNS point person in all AT and cycling related initiatives
that include the Blue Route (esp. those funded by NS Moves). *
*§ **Advise on infrastructure recommendations regarding bikeways
*§ **Act as BNS seat on provincial advisory committees and boards where
*§ **Build on the existing momentum for cycling in Nova Scotia by engaging
strategically with communities and key individuals. *
*§ **Organize events and workshops related to increasing cycling,
particularly for women and youth. *
*§ **Communicate BNS and Blue Route initiatives through newsletters,
social media and print media. *
*§ **See also project deliverables for overview, listed at end of this job
*Essential Skills: *
· Knowledge and appreciation of cycling.
· Understanding of active transportation planning and infrastructure.
· Ability to contribute to and influence policy decisions and plan
· Experience in a non-profit organization.
· Self-motivated, and ability to work independently but also able to
· Ability to organize and coordinate events.
· Excellent writing and communication skills.
· Networking or professional and community network development
Position is for one year, with potential for extension. Salary is
commensurate with experience and will range from $45,000.00 – $49,000.00 /
year depending on experience. Benefits to be discussed with successful
Please submit all applications by September 29th, 2013.
Applications should have the file naming format as follows.
LastName_FirstName_BNS Application_2013. Applicants should be available for
NS Bicycle Summit, October 4-6th.
*Appendix 1: Project Deliverables*
The Director of Bicycle Culture and Blue Route Implementation will be
responsible for implementing the following deliverables:
*Information Distribution and Communication: *
- Collaborate with other organizations working on AT (Ecology Action
Centre, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Cities and Environment Unit, Halifax
Cycling Coalition and others) as well as through structures such as the
Union of Nova Scotia Municipalities AT committee to ensure that cycling is
included in all AT initiatives.
- Provide resources to communities to assist with Blue Route development
projects, funding, standards and promotion.
- Work with bicycle related businesses to engage them on policy
development and strategic planning.
- Co-promote AT 101 with the Ecology Action Centre.
- Continue to offer CAN BIKE courses and support with CAN BIKE
- Build knowledge of BNS throughout Nova Scotia, grow organizational and
*Policy and Research*
- Develop and advocate for a strategic plan for bicycling in NS that
will enable a cycling culture and increase cycling as part of the modal
share of transportation in Nova Scotia.
- Identify biking participation patterns, trends and barriers through
targeted public surveys.
- Promote bicycle infrastructure in transportation planning and
- Promote inclusion of cycling enabling policy and practice across NS
- Promote adoption of “Blue Route” as an overarching AT network.
- Co-host and provide support for the Annual Nova Scotia Bicycle Summit.
- Organize targeted cycling events for women and youth.
- Promotion at provincial and local level through Bike Week events.
- Develop awards programs for bikeable communities or workplaces.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: BNS Job Opportunity Director of Bicycle Culture and Blue Route Implementation September 2013.docx
Size: 19226 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the sust-mar