[Sust-mar] Summer job, Farmers Markets of Nova Scotia, Halifax, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jun 3 16:42:53 EDT 2014

* Jobs in local & sustainable food - http://FoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOB POSTING

Position: Student Summer Employment Position (8 Weeks): Economic Development Coordinator
Website: http://www.farmersmarketsnovascotia.ca
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Welcome and thanks for taking a closer look at this job opportunity. We are looking for someone to join our summer office team – making us a trio. We work from the office most days but also enjoy working from cafes, neighbourhood hot spots and farmers' markets. We are looking for someone who works well independently and who can sit down and 'get cracking'. The right skills are essential to this position as is a great attitude.

BACKGROUND

Established in 2004, Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia (FMNS) is a cooperative of certified farmers’ markets within the province. As a member-based cooperative, FMNS offers support and services to Nova Scotia farmers' markets and their vendors through business development, skill building, research, advocacy and promotion. FMNS works to ensure our member markets are knowledgeable of and engaged in emerging trends. Our mission is to develop innovative and sustainable farmers’ markets across the province and to inspire, build skills and confidence among our members.

POSITION

This is an 8 week summer position, at 30 hours per week, available to students only (see eligibility requirements below). The Economic Development Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and work with the FMNS Summer Intern.

The primary responsibilities of the Economic Development Coordinator are around creating tools and resources, informed by research, to ensure the long-term sustainability of Nova Scotia farmers' markets. Specific projects include:
• develop an online library of resources regarding innovative revenue streams and budget templates for farmers' markets;
• develop a 'how to' guide to farmers' markets around connecting with local restaurants to supply produce, etc. (including a section on how to create and run a wholesale market day at an existing farmers' market);
• complete existing FMNS resources (i.e. editing, etc.);
• develop a list of farmers' market-based businesses that cater, organized by region;
• gather information from markets, vendors and online to create a merchandize and supplies source list for market-based business and markets;
• research and develop resources for farmers' markets around participating hosting festivals and events;
• complete a list of grants available to farmers' markets (including $500 RRFB).

As well as generally supporting the work of the Executive Director, Board of Directors and of the Farmers' Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative.

SKILLS & EXPERIENCE

Interested candidates must possess the following skills and experience:
• experience developing practical resources, guides and other tools;
• strong organizational skills;
• the ability to see both the big picture and the fine details;
• the ability to work independently and stay on task;
• strong communication skills, especially written;
• willingness to learn, experiment and adapt;
• interest in and passion for local food, agriculture and community development.

The following skills are not necessary for the position, but would be assets:
• graphic design experience;
• photography and videography skills;
• driver’s license and access to a vehicle.

ELIGIBILTY

To be eligible for this position, you MUST be:
• a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
• between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• a registered full-time student in the 2013/14 academic year AND intending to return to school full-time for the 2014/15 academic year;
• not be a member of an FMNS employee or board members' immediate family.

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT

This position will be based at our Halifax office but will require some unsupervised work from home, a cafe, etc.

Start: July 2nd, 2014
End: August 27th, 2014
*Some flexibility around start and end date according to hired individual.

Wage: 30 hrs/wk for 8 weeks @ $12.00/hour.
Hours: Typically, four days per week from 9am to 5pm however occasional evening and weekend work may be required.

TO APPLY

Please email a cover letter and resume (including 2 references) to Keltie Butler at FMNS at farmersmarketsnovascotia.ca. Please submit your application in the form of a single pdf document with all required elements included and in the following order: cover letter, resume, references.

DUE DATE: Sunday, June 15th, 2014 (midnight).

Thank you to all applicants for their time and interest. Short-listed applicants will be contacted during the week of June 16th with interviews to be scheduled for the following week.

Farmers' Markets of Nova Scotia (FMNS) is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, First Nations, and persons with disabilities. Diversity is a stated value of FMNS and, moreover, diversity in the farmers' market community is a strength that must be cultivated.

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca