[Sust-mar] The End of the Line: 7 PM Friday March 21 Port Hood

Anne Levesque levesque.anne at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 12:17:23 EDT 2014

THE END OF THE LINE

A FILM BY RUPERT MURRAY

NARRATED BY TED DANSON

7 PM FRIDAY MARCH 21

BAYVIEW SCHOOL, PORT HOOD

FREE ADMISSION EVERYONE WELCOME

*WHAT IF THERE WAS NO FISH? *

BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE INVERNESS COUNTY COUNCIL OF CANADIANS  AND CINEMA
POLITICA

"The END OF THE LINE", is the first major feature documentary film to
reveal the impact of overfishing on our oceans.  Scientists predict that if
we continue fishing as we are now, we will see the end of most wild seafood
by 2048.  "The END OF THE LINE" chronicles how demand for cod off the coast
of Newfoundland in the early 1990s led to the decimation of the most
abundant cod population in the world.  It documents how hi-teck fishing
vessels leave no escape routes for fish populations, and that farmed fish
as a solution to disappearing wild stock is a myth.

The film lays the responsibility squarely on politicians who ignore the
advice and pleas of scientists,  consumers who innocently consume
endangered fish, and fisherfolk around the world who break quotas and fish
illegally. To date, the global fishing industry is slow to react to an
impending disaster.  "THE END OF THE LINE" points to solutions that are
simple and doable, but political will and activism are crucial to solve
this international problem.