[Sust-mar] Community Dev't Coord., summer job, Farmers Markets NS, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Apr 24 10:07:34 EDT 2015

* Work in local & sustainable food - http://FoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOB POSTING
http://GoodWork.ca/920892

Position: Community Economic Development Coordinator
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Student Summer Employment Position (8 Weeks): Community Economic Development Coordinator

Welcome and thanks for taking a closer look at this job opportunity. We are looking for someone to join our summer office team. We work from the office most days but also enjoy working from cafes, neighbourhood hot spots and farmers' markets. We are looking for someone who works well independently, who can sit down and 'get cracking' but loves a good group brainstorming session.

BACKGROUND

Established in 2004, Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia (FMNS) is a cooperative of certified farmers’ markets within the province. As a member-based cooperative, FMNS offers support and services to Nova Scotia farmers' markets and their vendors through business development, skill building, research, advocacy and promotion. Our vision is for a dynamic Farmers' Market sector cultivating healthy local economies, communities and people in Nova Scotia. To bring our vision to life, we arebuilding the capacity of farmers' markets and their member businesses through inspirational leadership, professional development, province wide marketing, advocacy, and networking.

POSITION

This is an 8 week summer position, at 30 hours per week, available to students only (see eligibility requirements below). The Community Economic Development Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and work with the FMNS Summer Nutrition Intern/s.

The Community Economic Development Coordinator will work under the supervision and with the support of the Executive Director. Work projects and tasks will include:
• website maintenance (Wordpress);
• resource development, editing and completion;
• photography;
• collecting stories from farmers' market vendors;
• create infographics;
• video snapshot;
• build connections and give lunch and learn presentations to promote farmers' markets (i.e. healthcare practitioners, businesses);
• approach local retail businesses to sell our merchandize;
• solicit sponsorships, etc according to our Fund Development Strategy;
• revamp our e-newsletter (Mailchimp);
• tasks surrounding the 50% Local Food Club project;
• contribute to the development of a Procedures Manual;
• organize online and hard copy files.

SKILLS & EXPERIENCE

Interested candidates must possess the following skills and experience:
• strong communication skills including writing;
• experience developing practical resources, guides and other tools;
• strong organizational skills;
• technical skills and/or experience in online tools: websites (Wordpress), e-newsletters (Mailchimp); basic videography, infographics, etc.;
• technical skills and/or experience in photography;
• the ability to work independently and stay on task;
• willingness to learn, experiment and adapt;
• interest in and passion for local food, agriculture and community development.

The following skills are not necessary for the position, but would be assets:
• graphic design experience with examples of work;
• photography and videography skills with examples of work;
• driver’s license and access to a vehicle.

ELIGIBILTY

To be eligible for this position, you MUST be:
• a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
• between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• a registered full-time student in the 2014/15 academic year AND intending to return to school full-time for the 2015/16 academic year;
• not be a member of an FMNS employee or board members' immediate family.

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT

This position will be based at our Halifax office but will require some unsupervised work from home, a cafe, etc.

Summer 2015 *Flexibility around start and end date according to hired individual.

Wage: 30 hrs/wk for 8 consecutive weeks @ $11.50/hour.

Hours: Typically, four days per week from 9am to 5pm however occasional evening and weekend work may be required.

TO APPLY

Please email a cover letter and resume, including 2 references, to Keltie Butler at:
FMNS at farmersmarketsnovascotia.ca
Please submit your application in the form of a single pdf document with all required elements included and in the following order: cover letter, resume, references. Supporting documents to illustrate technical skills and/or experience in photography, videography, graphic design, etc. are encouraged.

DUE DATE: Friday, May 1st, 2015 (midnight).

Thank you to all applicants for their time and interest. Short-listed applicants will be contacted, and interviews schedules, the week of May 11th

Farmers' Markets of Nova Scotia (FMNS) is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, First Nations, and persons with disabilities. Diversity is a stated value of FMNS and, moreover, diversity in the farmers' market community is a strength that must be cultivated.

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=29802

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca