[Sust-mar] Summer Dog Handler, work-stay, accom., Northwoods Survival, New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Mar 3 16:53:37 EST 2015

* Work in environment, conservation & nature: http://GoodWork.ca *

WORK-STAY / VOLUNTEER POSITION

2015 Northwoods Survival SUMMER Dog Handler Position

Position: Summer Dog Handler
Type: work-stay/volunteer position with accom., stipend (see below)
Location: Knowlesville, Carleton County, New Brunswick

Start Date: May 1, 2015
End Date: August 31, 2015

We are Northwoods Survival a family operated wilderness adventure and survival facility. We are looking for a dynamic individual to be our summer helper to help care for our sled dog teams and perform general maintenance with us during the dogs' off-season.

Summary of Duties: The summer handler is responsible for the daily maintenance of the dog yard: scooping poop twice a day, cleaning and refilling fresh water buckets, replacing straw in houses as needed, feeding and exercise of dogs.

The 2015 handler should expect to have a few Inuit Sled Dogs and 11 Alaskan Huskies to care for. As well we are expecting a new litter of puppies in early May. Exercising sled dogs in summer is rotating playgroups through the 150’ free run pen everyday. Some of the dogs can be free walked to the river for a swim and a bit of adventure. We encourage hiking, biking and exploration. We live in a beautiful rural area with endless miles of trails, streams and peaceful landscape.

General maintanence duties will be re-painting dog houses, brushing dogs, assisting with trips to he butcher to pick up meat orders for the dogs. The handler cares for the “meat shed” and keeps the freezers tidy. There was a hurricane in 2014 which damaged several of our dog trails, we will continue to work on clearing trees and brush to re-open our trails. It would be an asset for candidates to have chainsaw and brushsaw experience, as well as experience driving 4-wheelers.

We have organic vegetable gardens, raise meat chickens and layers for our family. Priority will be given to candidates who have a desire to learn basic homesteading skills and plan to help out in the gardens. We will prep, plant and weed the gardens until harvest, when we will eat fresh our bounty and preserve the excess for winter storage.

Candidates must have a valid driver's license and be a minimum of 18 years old.

Work-Stay: This is a work-stay “volunteer” position. We offer housing in our 2-bedroom cabin onsite, which has electricity, running water, a full kitchen and wi-fi access. We do not pay a salary, but offer a $50/week stipend to help with living expenses.

Please email your resume, two references and tell us what you would hope to gain from a season with us:
speckledhengarden at gmail.com

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=28947

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca