[sust-mar] International Permaculture Training Program at the Deanery!l PRESS RELEASE

Kim Thompson shipharbour.thompson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 14:44:22 EDT 2019

PRESS RELEASE April 22, 2019

The Deanery Project, Ship Harbour, Nova Scotia

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Internationally recognized permaculture training available at the Deanery Project

The Deanery Project is excited to again be offering the internationally recognized Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) at its learning centre on the Eastern Shore.  Long time permaculture educator, Charles Williams, will be facilitating this program with support from experienced and talented local instructors.

Permaculture is a design system that focuses on meeting human needs while regenerating the natural environment.  Williams adds,  “Permaculture is more than ecological design it is hope in a time of despair. Permaculture is a road-map leading from today's crises to a resilient future”

The Deanery Project is a not-for-profit environmental and arts education center.  Since opening in 2011, the Deanery has become a known as a learning and demonstration site for sustainable, low-impact living.  Kim Thompson, Executive Director, says “Whether we’re powering our buildings with solar energy, drying wood in our solar kiln, harvesting food from the forest, or showing people how to improve their garden yield, we’re always looking for new ways to practice, teach and engage our communities with environmentally responsible practices.”

The Deanery Project PDC is offered as six weekend modules over eight months. Each module runs from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon and includes a combination of hands-on and theoretical learning.  The modules include: Introduction to Permaculture; Growing Plants and Building Soil; Catching Storing and Cleaning Water; Natural Building and Appropriate Technology; and Permaculture Approaches to Policy, Economics and Group Dynamics.    The upcoming module on May 3-5 will explore building and maintaining healthy soil, perennial planting systems, food forests, propagation strategies and much more.

 To offer the greatest flexibility to participants, the Deanery is offering the option to register for individual modules as stand alone workshops. There are still a few places left in the program. Cost for the full certificate program (6 modules) is $1500 + HST; Individual modules are available for $300 + HST.  Price includes meals and dormitory accommodation.  Payment plans and limited work-trade options are available for the full program and the individual modules.  The first module was delivered in April but it will be offered again in spring of 2020   and possibly later in 2019 if there is sufficient interest. Module details and registration information are available on the PDC event listing of our Facebook page (@theDeaneryProject).

Kim Thompson, and Charles Williams are available for interviews.

CONTACT

Kim Thompson, Executive Director, The Deanery Project
shipharbour.thompson at gmail.com
902-845-1888 (office)
902-877-5316 (cell)

Charles Williams, Permaculture Instructor
haplo9 at gmail.com
828-424-0482 (cell)

The Deanery Project
751 West Ship Harbour Road, Lower Ship Harbour, NS  B0J 1Y0

#####