[sust-mar] Sustainable Fisheries Campaigner, full-time, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Dec 9 16:28:00 EST 2020

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

NOVA SCOTIA JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia
https://GoodWork.ca/Maritimes

Position: Sustainable Fisheries Campaigner
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Ecology Action Centre’s Marine team works locally, nationally and internationally towards protecting the marine ecosystem and maintaining sustainable fisheries, which support vibrant coastal communities.

We are seeking a new Sustainable Fisheries Campaigner to join our team. This position will be responsible for co-developing and leading EAC fisheries campaign efforts, reporting to the Senior Marine Program Coordinator and collaborating with marine program team.

ABOUT YOU

You are an experienced campaigner, with at least 3 years' experience in fisheries, oceans, or community advocacy campaigning, who is looking for a dynamic and challenging opportunity to make change in the world’s oceans. You have a specific interest in and knowledge of sustainable fisheries management, policy, and science along with ocean conservation and sustainable livelihoods more broadly. With your background, you know what fishing means in Atlantic Canada and internationally and you are comfortable developing and maintaining relationships of trust across a diverse range of contacts including industry, Indigenous representatives, government officials, NGO partners and coalitions. You are passionate about our campaign areas - equitable access to marine resources, Indigenous fishing rights, increasing community based and ecosystem management options, bycatch reduction, recovery of depleted species, habitat protection, and climate change impacts on fishing communities and ecosystems
 .

YOUR FOCUS

As Sustainable Fisheries Campaigner you will lead the strategic development and implementation of the EAC marine program’s sustainable fisheries policy campaigns ensuring their integration into our broader program goals. You will work with the Senior Marine Program Coordinator and team to develop positions and campaign strategies.

WHAT YOU WILL BRING
• Working knowledge of Atlantic Canada/Mi 'maki fishing, governance, and policy development
• A degree or equivalent experience-based learning connected to fisheries and marine conservation, knowledge of cultural, political and social economic related issues and a strong ability to understand fisheries science
• Demonstrated capability to synthesize and distill large amounts of detailed information over a broad range of research related to fisheries and marine conservation
• Ability to monitor evolving policy opportunities at the national and international level and ensure timely analysis, recommendations, and commentary on identified priorities
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, self-directed and a team player
• Commitment to environmental justice

WHAT YOU WILL DO
• Lead and develop the next phases of our Forage Fish (mackerel and herring) campaign as well as our work on other priority fisheries such as redfish and groundfish and key national fisheries, Blue Economy, and seafood policies
• Represent EAC at relevant fisheries management and science meetings / participating in other fisheries advisory committees in both the Gulf and Maritimes regions
• Assist in generating campaign related media coverage, producing online content as requested, including blogs, press releases and social media, acting as the spokesperson for the campaign where relevant
• Produce and support production of high-quality campaign materials, such as reports, briefings and videos
• Carry out detailed research into scientific and technical aspects of the sustainable fisheries campaigns
• Assist with campaign fundraising, including the production of reports and proposals for donors as requested
• Supervise interns and volunteers

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Start date: January 2021
• 37.5 hours/week with renumeration competitive with the nonprofit sector and negotiable based on experience
• 1-year contract with the possibility of extension funding dependent
• Cost-shared benefits plan and 4 weeks paid vacation per year
• Work can be completed in our office space or done remotely with periodic work in from our office space in Halifax’s North End. Please note: Temporary remote work from outside the Maritime provinces will be considered, provided there is a willingness to move to within the Maritime provinces within 6 months to 1 year when COVID-19 pandemic restrictions are lifted.
• The position requires occasional evening and weekend work and involves limited travel.

TO APPLY

Please email your cover letter and resume to employment at ecologyaction.ca with Sustainable Fisheries Campaigner and your name in the subject line. Due Date: January 4, 2021.

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as, but not limited to: African Nova Scotian and other racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community. Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that we seek to cultivate. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/975085

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/975085

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca