[sust-mar] Organic & Biodynamic Farm Manager, f/t, South Shore, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jan 28 16:58:14 EST 2020

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

NOVA SCOTIA JOBS
Grow local! http://FoodWork.ca/GrowLocal
Nova Scotia http://FoodWork.ca/NovaScotia

Position: Farm Manager or Couple
Location: South Shore Nova Scotia, near Baker Settlement, Lunenburg and Mahone Bay
Housing: on-site cabin may be possible, enquire

Watershed Farm is seeking a Farm Manager(s) who will take on the responsibilities of growing for this coming gardening season and hopefully continue with our farm as it continues to evolve as a mixed-use farm, with a focus on seed saving, bee keeping and eventually, a semester-long residential educational opportunity for young adults.

Watershed Farm has been a mixed livestock and vegetable farm for close to twenty years serving its local community through farmer’s markets, CSA and donations of food to local charities. We are located 12 km. from Bridgewater on the beautiful South Shore of Nova Scotia. Watershed Farm has long been using Biodynamic and organic practices in our work and we have increased our perennial crops considerably over time to include fruits, nuts and herb crops.

The successful applicant(s) will assume farming responsibilities for this upcoming growing season including crop planning that takes into consideration the needs of the seed crops as well as the market vegetables.

The position would begin in March 2020. While we would see the first year as a discrete contract that ends in December 2021, we are looking for a candidate who is open to establishing a long-term relationship with Watershed Farm. A farming couple or family would be most welcome.

Applicants should have solid hands-on experience in organic farming including experience in managing a market garden of one acre or more, selling at farmer’s markets, crop planning, and animal husbandry. Interest and experience in Biodynamic, Organic and Permaculture methods would be a welcome addition. Practical knowledge of the use of farm tools including hand tools, tillers, irrigation systems, tractors and mowers would be required. As well, applicants should have a willingness to work with and appreciate the benefits of the educational aspects of the Watershed Farm Project and be capable and willing to work with interns and apprentices. We would be seeking someone with a strong work ethic who is highly self-motivated and has solid organizational ability, entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to work collaboratively.

We are planning to grow our educational component from occasional events, workshops and school field trips, to a semester-long international residential program for young adults. The program will run from late-August till the third week of December and will immerse the participants in the practical arts of farm life including, animal husbandry, vegetable farming, forestry, woods work and carpentry as well as food preservation and cooking skills. At the same time there will be time spent exploring the skills required in running a few farm-based businesses, such as bee-keeping and seed growing. Civic engagement, service and communication skills will also be an essential part of the community we build here at Watershed Farm with participants from various parts of the world learning what it takes to live and work together. Our aim is to launch the program in August 2021.

The farm is situated on 250 acres of Acadian forest and includes a river and lake. Of the eighteen cleared acres on the hilltop, approximately 2 acres have been cultivated in the past for market gardening. There is a chicken house, a number of animal shelters, a small orchard, two large root cellars, two greenhouses, a tractor shed, a winter barn for animals, two caterpillar tunnels, an irrigation system and many hand and power tools. At present there is a laying flock of approximately 25 hens, and a small flock of ducks and turkeys. We would be interested in having sheep and cows on the property once again as there are over fifteen acres in excellent pasture, with two irrigation ponds and a lower meadow. The farm is equipped with a wind generator, solar panels and an inter-tie with NS Power.

It may be possible to discuss accommodation on site as there is a straw-bale cabin that may be available. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Those interested in the position should send a letter to:

info at watershedfarm.org

We will contact you and set up a phone interview or an in-person interview if possible.

http://FoodWork.ca/GrowLocal
http://FoodWork.ca/922855

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/922855

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca