[sust-mar] Senior Consultant, full-time, Sustainability Solutions Group Workers Cooperative, anywhere in Canada

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Nov 23 19:00:07 EST 2020

* Work in sustainability, climate action - GoodWork.ca *

MARITIMES & VIRTUAL JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/Maritimes
https://GoodWork.ca/948975

Position: Senior Consultant
Location: anywhere in Canada / flexible (see below for more details)

ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY SOLUTIONS GROUP

SSG is a worker co-operative founded in 2001 to do creative, challenging, and values-based work. Our vision is decarbonized, healthy, equitable communities for everyone, and our purpose is to create meaningful work for our members. We work in:
• Energy and emissions modelling and planning for communities and local governments;
• Climate change adaptation and mitigation planning;
• Community engagement;
• Community and health planning;
• Neighbourhood planning and design;
• Energy systems planning;
• Research, and more.

In collaboration with our partners at whatIf? Technologies, we have evolved a leading practice in creating decarbonization pathways for cities.

OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY

SSG celebrates diversity and strives to participate in restorative justice, in part by implementing just recruitment practices. We highly encourage applicants of colour, LGBTQIA2+ applicants, applicants with disabilities, and applicants from other historically marginalized communities.

ABOUT THE POSITION

This position will work with other SSG Consultants and our partner whatIf? Technologies to support our project work. Primary responsibilities include leading and supporting climate action planning project work, interfacing with clients and stakeholders, as well as financial and economic analysis of decarbonization pathways. The position will support SSG’s clients in developing financing strategies and mechanisms to support the implementation of climate action pathways. The Consultant may also undertake diverse tasks to meet other project goals. This includes analysis, interpretation, and reporting on financial, energy and emissions data. Other work may include report writing, policy reviews, data collection, quality assurance, and knowledge management.

In addition to project-focussed work, all workers at SSG contribute to SSG’s strategic and organizational development. The consultant will be expected to assist and/or lead internal projects that may be related to strategic development, organizational knowledge management, or internal organizational equity work, among other things, on an as-needed basis.

SSG’s ideal candidate is looking for long-term employment, with an interest in becoming a committed member-owner of the co-operative.

RESPONSIBILITIES

The candidate will work alongside a team of consultants to lead and deliver on climate action plans, as well as provide subject area expertise in financial analysis. The key focus areas of this position are as follows.

1. Project Delivery

Following a period of acclimatization, the Consultant will manage the delivery of projects, which will include:
• Leading and managing an interdisciplinary team to deliver climate action plans and related projects;
• Coordinating with and supporting project team members in project development and delivery;
• Being a primary point of contact with clients;
• Preparing materials for internal and external meetings;
• Attending meetings with clients and answering client questions regarding our work;
• Liaising with policy makers at all government levels on policy and program development;
• Attending or leading project engagement workshops in supporting or facilitating capacities; and
• Contributing to report and plan writing.

2. Financial Analysis

The Consultant will provide subject area expertise in delivering financial analysis, such as:
• Analyzing and developing financial policies and programs for climate actions;
• Developing tools and methods to enhance the evaluation of financial and economic impacts of climate actions;
• Quantifying climate change financial/economic risks to, and impacts on, cities and organizations;
• Developing tools and methods to evaluate the socio-economic equity impacts of climate actions; and
• Maintaining and updating a catalogue of financial modelling assumptions.

3. Supporting the Development of New Services

In collaboration with our Business Development team, the Consultant will lead:
• Developing new services to support our clients in incorporating mitigation and adaptation climate change considerations into financial analyses; and
• Tracking emerging climate change and financial/economic themes (e.g. climate-related financial disclosure) and determining how to incorporate them into our service offerings.

4. Contributing to the Co-operative

SSG’s workers are invested in contributing to the success of the co-operative, which means participating in — and sometimes leading — non-project-focussed work, such as:
• Working with team members to improve organizational processes, streamline project delivery, and contribute to ongoing organizational innovation;
• Participating in the governance structure of the co-op; and
• Participation in the broader co-op movement.

WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR

The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and attributes
• Passion for and dedication to climate action planning;
• Ability and inclination to lead and manage projects;
• Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail;
• Demonstrated ability to think critically and creatively, and to problem-solve;
• Strong understanding of financial markets and measures;
• High degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently;
• Proven track record of success working on project teams;
• Entrepreneurial outlook and ability to take initiative;
• Excellent written and oral communications skills;
• Comfort working virtually with a distributed workforce;
• Commitment to social justice;
• Flexibility to adapt to different levels of workloads and schedules; and
• Ability to work in a non-hierarchical environment.

The following qualifications and attributes are considered assets but are not requirements for the successful candidate:
• Chartered financial analyst designation or other relevant designation;
• Experience in municipal finance;
• Background in financial analysis of climate action scenarios; and
• Familiarity with and/or enthusiasm for worker co-operatives.

SOFTWARE

SSG’s primary software tools include Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, Adobe (Acrobat DC, InDesign), Slack, Zoom, Wrike, and Zotero. Previous knowledge of these tools is not necessarily required and can be taught on the job.

SALARY, BENEFITS, AND PROFIT SHARING

SSG workers are paid according to a salary scale that factors in years of professional experience and years worked at SSG. SSG workers are paid an hourly rate based on monthly hours worked. SSG expects the salary of the successful candidate to fall close to $35/hour. SSG also offers a benefits package, which includes health, dental, and vision. SSG offers flexible holiday pay, 2 weeks of health & family care leave, 3 weeks of paid vacation, and a stipend for professional development.

This position will be eligible for membership in the co-operative (i.e. co-ownership) within roughly six months. SSG distributes a minimum 50% of its annual net income back to its members. Income distribution is in the form of shares and cash, as determined by SSG’s Board of Directors.

WORKING AT SSG

SSG has a relatively flat staff structure and payscale. Climate change and social justice values are embedded throughout our organization and work. SSG is a distributed organization with staff in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Chile.

The Consultant will work from home or a shared office (e.g. HiVE Vancouver) with occasional out of town travel for work (on pause for the foreseeable future). Applicants from outside of Canada are welcome to apply, but typical work hours will fall within the Pacific, Eastern, and Atlantic time zones. Extensive work at a computer is required. SSG offers flexible work hours, although occasional overtime may be required.

APPLICATION

If interested, please email a cover letter and resume to the hiring team at work at ssg.coop no later than midnight Pacific Time on December 6, 2020. Please send the documents as a single file.

In the cover letter, we encourage you to speak to your interest in working on climate change challenges and with a workers co-operative.

If you need application assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please contact work at ssg.coop or call 819-744-0013.

For more information about worker co-ops in Canada, see the following resources:
• What is a Worker Co-op: Canadian Worker Co-operative Federation
• The Co-op Principles

Depending on the number of applicants, we may be able to contact only those candidates whom we wish to interview.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/948975

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/948975

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca