[sust-mar] Food rescue volunteers, Second Harvest, Halifax & surrounding municipalities

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Dec 29 12:30:40 EST 2021

* Work in sustainable food systems - FoodWork.ca *

VOLUNTEER POSITIONS
http://FoodWork.ca/volunteer
http://FoodWork.ca/997126

Wanted: Food Rescue Volunteers
Locations: Halifax and surrounding municipalities (see below)

Are you passionate about the environment? Do you hate seeing good food go to waste?

Join Second Harvest in getting surplus, unsold food to local food agencies who support people experiencing hunger by becoming a volunteer with The Second Harvest Food Rescue App!

The Second Harvest Food Rescue App connects food donors directly with social service organizations that supply healthy, fresh food to those experiencing food insecurity. Using the Food Rescue app and online platform, we now support over 2300+ food service agencies across Canada in getting healthy, unsold surplus food to people experiencing hunger.

Second Harvest is looking for volunteers in Halifax, Bedford, Cherry Brook, Dartmouth, Lawrencetown, Lower Sackville, and Timberlea to make food deliveries to local non-profit organizations that do not have the capacity to rescue food from local businesses... Let’s rescue food together!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Food Rescue Volunteer Role:

Food rescue volunteers will play a vital role in transporting food donations to under resourced community organizations.

Key Responsibilities:
• Use The Second Harvest Food Rescue App online platform to view and confirm food donations claimed by non-profit organizations on a recurring basis (ie. weekly), within your preferred radius
• Transport surplus food from local food businesses by vehicle, foot, or bike using proper food storage for health and safety
• Confirm successful rescues on the online platform and provide ongoing feedback to Second Harvest staff during the pilot test phase

Time Commitment:
• 3-month minimum commitment
• Approximately 1-2 hours per week; daytime, evenings, weekends
• Ongoing opportunity with flexible scheduling

Volunteer Requirements:
• Passionate about the environment, food rescue, and reducing hunger
• Reliable and committed
• Age of majority (19 years or older)
• Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 25 lbs
• Moderate use of technology (email, website, online personal profile management)
• Fully vaccinated against COVID-19

Health and Safety:
• Masks must be worn at all times while picking up/dropping off food donations and volunteers must follow all Second Harvest health and safety protocols.

The Food Rescue Volunteer opportunity is currently in the pilot phase! We are excited to build a team of testers to help us offer a new service to local communities and we look forward to hearing from you.

~~~~~~~~~~~

To apply, please contact Adrienne Tsandelis at adriennet at secondharvest.ca , subject: "The Second Harvest Food Rescue App Volunteer Application - Nova Scotia".

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

All volunteers must complete an official volunteer application, phone interview and reference check.

http://FoodWork.ca/volunteer
http://FoodWork.ca/997126

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/997126

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca