[sust-mar] Hiring: Local food & small-scale farming, Centre Burlington, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Wed Dec 29 13:01:40 EST 2021

* Work in local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

Work in Local Food, Sustainable Farms
http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/906126

Position: Farm team worker
Farm: Fill yer boots farm
Location: Centre Burlington, Nova Scotia (1 hour North of Halifax)
Dates: mid April until mid December 2022

Fill Yer Boots Farm is Hiring!

Apply by email to: Marshall Zuern at mzuern645 at gmail.com . Please send a resume and two references. Extra points for a cover letter. The position will be posted until hiring is complete. Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

The position is for a farm worker from mid April until mid December 2022. We offer workman’s comp, and a paid one week vacation mid summer. You must have accommodations off farm and be able to travel to the farm daily. You must come prepared to work outside.

Schedule: 35 hrs per week
Compensation: $15/hr for all hours worked, free access to all the food/flowers we produce for yourself, home cooked farm lunch 4 days per week

Are you hoping to learn what it takes to run a successful small scale farming operation? Do you have a keen interest in horticulture, floriculture and animal husbandry? Are you hoping to learn about farming by living the farm life and committing to its joys and challenges? Same here!

You should apply to join the Fill Yer Boots Farm team.

About Fill Yer Boots farm:

We are a small scale operation in Centre Burlington, Hants County, that grows fresh and dried cut flowers, pasture raised eggs, and garlic. We aim to grow the best local food and flowers available here in Nova Scotia in an ethical, ecological, and equitable way. After working at Abundant Acres Farm as employees, we bought the farm next door and teamed up with Abundant Acres to help supply the needs of their growing direct marketing operation. We are part of a collaborative market known as the Warehouse market in North end Halifax where we sell the majority of what we grow. Check out @fillyerbootsfarm, or Fill Yer Boots Farm on facebook for more info.

Our farm is small but growing in complexity. In your position you would be involved in all aspects of production including: flower seedling production/management, field production/management of diverse cut flowers and garlic, management of season extension infrastructure (hoop house and greenhouse), layer flock and pasture management, harvest, wash and pack of all products we grow, and delivery into Halifax. In all of these areas, we are happy to share our knowledge and skills, but remember, we don’t have all the answers, and we are learning too!

What we are looking for:

Farming can be very challenging. First and foremost we are looking for someone who is aware of the challenge ahead, and is still two feet in.
• You must be a team player, have a positive attitude, be able to listen and communicate clearly, and adapt to an inevitably constant change of plans.
• The job is physically demanding, and requires you to work hard in all kinds of weather conditions with a smile on your face.
• A good farmer is always self monitoring to determine how they can do their work more efficiently and quickly while maintaining quality standards. We expect the same from you.
• Experience working in fast paced, production based environments is definitely an asset. Farming experience is even better, but not necessary.

Questions? Call Marshall at 902 880 3141.

We look forward to hearing from you!

http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/906126

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/906126

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms