[sust-mar] North End Community Garden Coordinator (Volunteer Position)

Colleen Freake colleenfreake at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 3 09:40:42 EDT 2022

WANTED: North End Community Garden Coordinator (Volunteer Position)
(please share)

The North End Community Garden was built in 2014 and offers 22 plots for rent. Over the years we’ve made several improvements and added a few pollinator gardens to attract more bees & butterflies.  The garden is full of flowers and is peacefully situated on both sides of the parking lot of Fort Needham Park, on Union Street in Halifax. Irene Obermann, the Manager, is transitioning into retirement so we’re looking for a replacement ASAP.

Here are the responsibilities:

- Secures an annual Sponsorship from Mulgrave Park Caring & Learning Center (which submits grants for us and covers liability insurance (since we are not a Non-profit organization and HRM requires it).
- Prepares registration for new members by the last weekend in April.
- Arranges for water procurement from Needham Rec Center, next door to us.
- Manages the upper & lower gardens (acclimating new gardeners to our routine, arranging for meetings, workshops & purchase of supplies, etc. and organizing work projects).
- Accounting of all income & expenses & occasional grants.
- Share gardening tips and tricks with new members and create a welcoming environment for new gardeners and community members.

If you love gardening, live near us and have good people skills, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact Irene: ireneobermann50 at gmail.com

(Photos of the garden and Irene's job description attached)