[CANUFNET] tearing up pavement or concrete to plant trees?

Naomi Zurcher treerap at sprintmail.com
Thu Nov 5 06:54:28 EST 2020

Hi Rob:

The most critical thing is to not just digging out a large pit (hopefully not deeper than the height of the root ball and that the trunk flare is visible) but that the ability of roots to grow out of the planting space is accommodated. This is the most easily accomplished by replacing the existing substrate with a structural soil, covered with either dry set or permeable / porous pavers and that root paths or soil trenches be installed so that trees can connect with neighboring trees, thus further expanding the accessible volume of  bootable soil.

Kind regards
Naomi